VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago, I wrote in my blog about my 10-year experience with my Aston Martin V8 Vantage. So today I updated my blog with a follow-up on how cheap and easy it is to do brake maintenance (even for a labotomoized monkey like me). It's almost as simple and easy as the brakes on a 996/986 Porsche, except for the brake sensors which take a few extra steps.

So, my assertion still stands (contrary to Doug Demuro's experience): you CAN own one of these, purchased used and off warranty, and not spend a fortune on maintenance. Here is a link to the blog post explaining my $354 brake job (turns out the sensors are the expensive part!):

Do-It-Yourself brake maintenance on a 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage

She is braking nicely again!!

·
Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,662 Posts
I will read with great interest as this is my wife's dream car. thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the brake sensors really needed?
I guess not, except to stay factory-stock, and give yourself some warning so that you don't score your rotors with an overly-worn pad. If the sensors have not worn down to the point where they are "tripped", you can just pull them off the pad, fold them back upon themselves and tie them down so they never wear out (and you'll never get a "brake wear" light warning"), or you can remove the entire wire apparatus (although not sure if that would create some sort of error message - probably not as it seems many people just remove them). I did notice that by removing the old ones an replacing them, the warning light re-set on the dash. So that suggests to me that by removing them, the circuit that had been completed and tripped was now no longer completed... meaning that if I just left them off, there would be no warning light.

·
Banned
19,761 Posts
On one hand, $354 for a DIY brake job seems crazy. On the other hand, it's for an Aston Martin. I guess when you put it in perspective it's really not that bad. Overall has the car been alright? How many miles are on it now?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
On one hand, $354 for a DIY brake job seems crazy. On the other hand, it's for an Aston Martin. I guess when you put it in perspective it's really not that bad. Overall has the car been alright? How many miles are on it now?
Yeah, it's not a bad price for brakes on a high end luxury car. I have about 53,000 miles on it now and this is the third set of brakes. So $354 every 17,000 miles or so for brakes should not be a deal killer. Next time there will be a set of rotors involved so I will figure another $3200 for a set of 4 Brembo 2-piece GT rotors like the ones below, or a cheaper option would be OEM rotors for about $1200 for a set of four. Figure you'd have to do this at maybe 40-50k miles normally, but I managed to avoid it so far because I have lots of highway miles on mine from the 60-mile round trip commute I did for a number of years.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's actually good pricing for pad only jobs on cars of this caliber. I paid a little more to diy on my c63 amg when I had it... Front rotors on that thing are going to be expensive for New owner... They are around $650/each

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Argh this is timely. I was browsing 6speed and watching Tavarish's videos of Doug's old car yesterday

A lot of car for 40-50k

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Next time there will be a set of rotors involved so I will figure another $3200 for a set of 4 Brembo 2-piece GT rotors like the ones below, or a cheaper option would be OEM rotors for about $1200 for a set of four.
Unless you're tracking the car, you don't really need the floating rotors. But if you want 2-piece, call Martin at Girodisc, he might have similar setup for 1/2 the price.
http://www.girodisc.com/Technical-Info_ep_45.html

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you're tracking the car, you don't really need the floating rotors. But if you want 2-piece, call Martin at Girodisc, he might have similar setup for 1/2 the price.
http://www.girodisc.com/Technical-Info_ep_45.html
Agreed! I have the Girodisc on my track-purposed Cayman S and they are a great product for a terrific price. I hadn't checked to see if they have a fit for the Aston, great idea! Just FYI, I paid about $2200 for the original set of four, but the nice thing about the 2-piece floating rotors is that when you go to replace the rotors, you only buy the detachable discs and re-use the "hats", so the cost was $1400 when I replaced my Girodisc Rotors the second time. I wrote about that one in my blog as well: "rebuilding" Girodisc rotors for the Cayman S

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Argh this is timely. I was browsing 6speed and watching Tavarish's videos of Doug's old car yesterday

A lot of car for 40-50k
Indeed it is! And that is what I have been asserting for several years, during which time the car has not done much depreciating. So not only is it a lot of car and similar to the buy-in price of a loaded Camry, it won't depreciate anywhere near what the Camry will. If you find a one-owner car like mine, with service records so you don't buy a lemon, it's a good way to spend some of your hard-earned money. Oh... and the SOUND! Glorious.

Call me crazy, but I think this car will stay flat in value for 10 years and eventually appreciate to double its current value (by age 25 or so). Note that Aston Martin has sold about 10,000 cars across four models in total in the U.S. between 2007 and 2015, with maybe 60% of those being the V8 Vantage. It's a relatively rare car, and although the model continues to be built, the early models (2007-2008) don't look much different than the latest models. That is a good thing for value over time. One of the cars below costs $137,000 right now and the other costs $40,000. They are 10-years apart in their manufacture date.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I tried finding one of these under $60k but they were all autotragics, convertibles, 4.3s, or crappy color combinations. Kind of curious to know how many manual coupes were made.
I believe Dave has a 4.3 and remains quite satisfied.

Thanks Dave. I was all set after my last thread to buy a 996 or the next big hot hatch. But having spent $700 on pads and rotors for my MINI, the Aston seems like a huge bargain.

·
Registered
Old junk
8,214 Posts
I believe Dave has a 4.3 and remains quite satisfied.

Thanks Dave. I was all set after my last thread to buy a 996 or the next big hot hatch. But having spent $700 on pads and rotors for my MINI, the Aston seems like a huge bargain.
Everyone's different but it needs the torque of the 4.7 IMO. You can mod a 4.3 to be faster but it's $$$ and won't help resale. Might as well get the bigger engine.

I'm sure for Dave_Cars_Guy this isn't a big deal since he has 10 other sportscars to choose from.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That bold part is the big difference. $700 is a good deal!

Everyone's different but it needs the torque of the 4.7 IMO. You can mod a 4.3 to be faster but it's $$$ and won't help resale. Might as well get the bigger engine.
I have driven both and there is a noticeable difference, but mainly if you drive them back-to-back. I'd definitely prefer a 6-Speed manual 4.3 over a paddle shift 4.7. And as I've said before: the 4.3 V8 Vantage isn't the fastest car, it isn't the best handling, it isn't the most unique, but the COMBINATION of all its attributes makes it an amazing car to own and drive every day or on special occasions. When people ask me my favorite car, I say that I love them all for different reasons, but if I had to sell down to ONE car? It would be the Aston. As a reminder, here is the sound video I put together of the car a while ago. The first time it takes off over 4000 rpm, you gotta love it.

·
Banned
19,761 Posts
That bold part is the big difference. $700 is a good deal!

I have driven both and there is a noticeable difference, but mainly if you drive them back-to-back. I'd definitely prefer a 6-Speed manual 4.3 over a paddle shift 4.7. And as I've said before: the 4.3 V8 Vantage isn't the fastest car, it isn't the best handling, it isn't the most unique, but the COMBINATION of all its attributes makes it an amazing car to own and drive every day or on special occasions. When people ask me my favorite car, I say that I love them all for different reasons, but if I had to sell down to ONE car? It would be the Aston. As a reminder, here is the sound video I put together of the car a while ago. The first time it takes off over 4000 rpm, you gotta love it.

Is that the OEM exhaust? Holy ish that's loud! Glorious nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.