VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded the reverse light bulbs? My Florida windows are tinted pretty dark and night backing would be better if illuminated

If so, whats the upgrade path?

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (Tedd)

Visit your local auto parts store and find the 50W reverse lights.
I forgot what brand they were but I put them in my Golf and they were certainly brighter than stock. What car do you drive? Most VWs use the 1156 (21W) bulb for reverse lights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (Deception)

2002 Passat.
Are the generic autoparts store types halogen, or just higher wattage?

[Modified by Tedd, 3:36 AM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

My Florida windows are tinted pretty dark and night backing would be better if illuminated QUOTE]
Then use your mirrors when backing up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (Bora20)

I think it would be harder to see with your mirrors than actually turning around and looking out the window.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

All my windows (except windshield) are tinted, thus using my mirrors requires that I look through the tinted side windows

·
Registered
22,319 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I think it would be harder to see with your mirrors than actually turning around and looking out the window.
[HR][/HR]​
I always back by looking in the mirrors. It's a necessity when driving the van at work, it as no rear windows to look out of. Because of this, I always back up by the mirrors on regular cars as well.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts

Watch it with those bulbs though....they get real hot and can melt your lenses.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (PerL)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think it would be harder to see with your mirrors than actually turning around and looking out the window.
I always back by looking in the mirrors. It's a necessity when driving the van at work, it as no rear windows to look out of. Because of this, I always back up by the mirrors on regular cars as well.[HR][/HR]​
You mean you can't roll down your side window? When was your car built... in the 18th century?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (impact)

Get a beeper bulb so you can beep as you back up. That way people can jump out of your way!

·
Registered
590 Posts

I would avoid the 50 watt halogen retrofit bulbs (about 5 bucks apiece). The package says they are safe to use in all vehicles but I disagree. I tried them in my brake lights and they do indeed get very hot. After a short period I could smell hot plastic in the trunk. Even the outside of the taillight lens was getting warm. I quickly took them out to avoid heat damage.
Also, those bulbs are more than double the rated 21 watts for the stock bulbs. If you use two, you increase electrical load from 42 watts to 100 watts.
To achieve a modest increase in light output, I recommend you try the 3497 krypton-filled lamps, commonly found on Hondas, Acuras, and some other Japanese makes. They are Japanese spec lamps. The 3497 will replace the P21W. It uses 27 watts, but is rated at 45 candlepower. The P21W is rated at around 37.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (Lumalux)

Thanks, Lumalux. I had to wade through the stupid posts before someone came through with an intelligent answer.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Visit your local auto parts store and find the 50W reverse lights.
I forgot what brand they were but I put them in my Golf and they were certainly brighter than stock. What car do you drive? Most VWs use the 1156 (21W) bulb for reverse lights.[HR][/HR]​
I've used them on my previous car, nothing but troubles with that bulb (the 50W ones)

·
Registered
22,319 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]You mean you can't roll down your side window? When was your car built... in the 18th century?
[HR][/HR]​
Of course the window can be rolled down, but what does that help me? I cant see what's happening on the rigth side of the van when I hang out of the left side window, can I? I see more in the mirrors than by hanging out the window.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (PerL)

I was thinking about rolling down both windows and then navigating with the help of the side mirrors... van drivers do it all the time, or so I am told...

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

I've seen people (trucks) mount foglights and use them solely as auxilary reverse lights.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (converted_vw)

How 'bout mouting a camera on the rear and a LCD display in the dash?

Don't they have those on the newer Benz?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Re: Upgrade Reverse Lights (craigt-from-atl)

I know they have cameras on the new Cadillac's, in fact the original EVOQ didn't have any rearview mirrors at all, it had all camera's. Too bad that has absolutely nothing to do with the original post!

·
Registered
263 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Yep, halogen bulbs but with a higher wattage.[HR][/HR]​
wouldn't that cause harm to the harness? burning??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts