VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have factory speakers in my car right now and i was considering if i should get the upgraded speaker kit from vw or aftermarket speakers and tweeters (CAN ANYONE RECCOMMEND SOME)?? thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (drbh99)

$1000 no matter how you slice it.
Head unit & speakers $500 + $500
Amps & speakers same thing.

·
Registered
561 Posts

Go with aftermarket.
I personally like a/d/s but try to stop at a stereo shop and listen (if possible one already installed in a car).
Check carmedia1.com once you're ready to buy. They have pretty good prices.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (adityaax)

Actually the stock Monsoon Speakers are quite good.....i have heard people changing the headunit and achieving superb results with the stock Monsoon amp and speakers...seems like the Headunit is.......THE WEAKEST LINK!

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (adityaax)

If you add nice afternarket speakers, they will need more omph. So amps will be in order; however, I wouldnt like to feed a nice amp a stock HU signal. So a new HU should be added too. Once you get into Car Audio modding, you will be spending pretty penny!

·
Registered
9,735 Posts

I would go with aftermarket. Something like the boston RC series. Much better then the upgrade. If you have monsoon, its enough power to push them nice. If not, wait till you can do the head unit and speakers at once, and later add a small sub since you will now have preamp outs.
Or be like most people and just slowly build it to a full system with aftermaket amps to everything. It depends on how big your budget is, how much of an audiophile you are and what you must have.
I love my system, specially now that I am driving 12x as much as I used to for work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (jamesb)

I would replace the HU 1st, followed by the front speakers.
I would only replace the front speakers, I also replaced the rears, but it's because I'm anal and they all "had to be the same". In retrospect, however, I wasted my loot cause the rears just aren't that damn important.....unless your in a competition.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (phatplat)

I would swap the HU first then the speakers, if you have the monsoon setup. Right now I have stock Monsoon speakers and amp, but the HU is a Sony Xplod. Night and Day difference. The soundfield just opened up and the highs and lows finally showed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (vincenthotrod)

quote:[HR][/HR]I would swap the HU first then the speakers, if you have the monsoon setup. Right now I have stock Monsoon speakers and amp, but the HU is a Sony Xplod. Night and Day difference. The soundfield just opened up and the highs and lows finally showed.[HR][/HR]​
Don't you lose the steering wheel controls. The GLX has radio controls aon the steering wheel. Radio guy said no units out right now that keep that function going I'll wait or change speakers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (skills)

jensen speakers man!!!lol.thats what im gonna do cuz if blown my two 6x9's in the front.factory system is good but the speakers arent powerful enuf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: upgrade speakers or other speakers? (TURBODIESEL)

i dont know about u guys but from every single audio guy that ive spoke w/, from 3 different specialized audio places (good guys, circuit city, etc), they have all told me the same thing: that through their past experiences, replacing the factory monsoon system was a no-no. "sounded like crap!"
however, i did replace the head unit w/ a pioneer deck & its much better than the factory headunit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts