VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
09 Jetta 2.5 SE (MKV)

I would like to have steering wheel multifunction buttons to control an after market radio. What is the easiest way to go about this? Would I have to get a whole new steering wheel which supports steering wheel controls, such as this one?

Would an MK6 Steering wheel fit/work, like this one? Assuming I can use the airbag from my current steering wheel

I was also exploring the alternative of buying these multifunction steering wheel buttons but I don’t know much about them or how they work. Any experiences?

this is what my steering wheel currently looks like

Vehicle Wheel Speedometer Car Odometer

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Lots of people have tried this, and many have apparently been successful. I'm not familiar with what-all is required, but a search using keyword "MFSW" (multi-function steering wheel) comes up with lots of hits...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for your response. I was mainly trying to explore my options. Do you have any experience with these multifunction steering buttons that they are selling separately from AliExpress?
Huh, that's nifty. Looks like that must just hijack bluetooth to work? Maybe just RF? I'm just taking a stab in the dark becuse there's the splice to something off the head unit, and there's no wiring to the steering wheel. I'm guessing RF, since the factory head unit does not support to my knowledge multiple devices at once, and there doesn't seem to be any pairing process between the stick on wheel buttons and receiver box. Neat way to make a cheap easy DIY kit. I'm gonna guess it's not going to feel anything like OE and with all the stick on tape, may not always stick on... But for $35, eh, novel to try.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There's a YT video about upgrading a Mk5 to the proper Mk5 multifunction steering wheel: see here

Once you've got all the necessary parts it all looks pretty simple, although it'll need coding using VCDS in order to actually work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.