VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My B3 VR6 has just developed a crack in the front strut mount close to the fender. This is due to some rust. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you fix it. I need to get this done before it getts worse.
Thanks.

· Registered
768 Posts
If you are talking about the mounts that go over the strut, it's no big issue. I replaced both of them 2 weeks ago. I bought them for $20.00 from http://www.rapidparts.com, give them a call. If you do not rplace them the strut will move and the car will ride and handle like crap....I waited to long to change them, and that's how I know what would happen. Good luck.

· Registered
4,678 Posts
Re: Upper Strut mount (vr6piloto)

Honestly, Mr Hahns has the best advice. If its just the stut mount that is broken it is easily replacable. However if the sheet metal of the fender where the stru mount connects to has the crack I would take it to a truted shop of welding. Either my not a huge concern. As long as you get it done sooner than later.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Upper Strut mount (Action Jackson)

Action Jackson you are correct. It is the actual body part that the shock goes into and has a weld close to the fender that is cracking. I took it to a body shop in brantford and they tolm me to get another car. This B3 VR6 is solid and runs very strong still. Shame if I have to give it up because of this. I will continue to source some other venues where I might be able to get it fixed. Any other ideas anyone? Thanks.

· Registered
4,678 Posts

Well you can replace the fender itself... I'd not sure though if that holds the strut or if the strut is on a frame part. I must be a frame part.. mounting the strut to the fender is silly. I'd still think welding would be OK. Sheesh, the flippin frame is welded together, so why wouldn't a crack repaired via weld not hold up. Second opinion is required here. Try another body shop. You should call Crosby Audi/VW here in KW. They have a reputable body shop in the dealership. I'd guess there opinion on this issue wouold be worth the call.

· Registered
1,145 Posts

Is the crack on the shock tower? Is so, it is bad news since it is part of the unibody structure. If the crack is big enough to allow movements your front end alignment will move with it. If the crack enlarges the whole shock tower can separate and you can potentially have the top part of the shock hitting the hood. In the present state your car will not past safety. I suggest you go to see a good frame welding shop to see if it is still fixable. If the rust is too severe the car cannot be saved. Years ago I had to scrap a BMW 2002 because of cracked shock towers in the rear.
P.S. See this posting:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...28941

Modified by blah blah at 11:16 AM 4-13-2005

· Registered
145 Posts
Re: Upper Strut mount (blah blah)

Same here, except it was the lower spring perch. At first the most reputable shop around told me 1,500$ but when they found out what they were up against they said 6,000$+.
Cost me a '91 mercedes 300E 4 matic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.