VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experimented with Lemmiwinks tonight with my Upsolute BT V2. I advanced the timing +1.5° and below will show a 4th gear pull WOT. Note that I am now pulling up to 6° as opposed to 3°...

Below are logs taken previously without the Lemmiwinks +1.5° advance.

It seems the SW does not like +1.5° advance...it's kind of rough; but I do feel a difference from the butt dyno

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think up until 12° of retard is safe...Does anyone else have other insight on the matter? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I should also decrease the boost a bit to have it follow requested so i can save a bit of retard.

Modified by Don R at 4:58 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: (Don R)

thereticaly any is bad, but thats never gonna happen for optimum performance... I would say 6 is probably the limit for what will hurt performance.. basically if you were not pulling anything before down low you can risk advancing it a tiny bit with the negative affects being its pulling it up top a little more.. or vice versa I guess depending on your software.. The ECU is capable of pulling a max of 12 degrees.I have pulled 12 degrees for months because I am still on a stock IC. I've locked an apr stage III and it was pulling about 6 degrees also on a stock IC, so I'd say don is pretty decent. Unfortunately you will have some pull at all times. If you didnt' then your programming woudl not be optimized at those times where condistions permit you to run that extra timing... basically the chip asks for a little more then what it can do on a regular basis, so its always trying to slightly add a little back in hoping that maybe just this once its got 93.5 instead of 93 in it, or its a little cooler out

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (chris86vw)

Good stuff Chris! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Perhaps I should decrease it by 0.75° where it pulled only up to 3° tops when I previously tried it.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Re: Upsolute V2 VS +1.5 Advance with Lemmiwinks... (Don R)

Quote, originally posted by Don R »
Note that I am now pulling up to 6° as opposed to 3°...

When you say you're pulling 6° instead of 3° your are looking only the retard of cilinder 1 right? (yellow line), how do you interpret BTDC (before top dead center), the green line says 22° on 2.5psi of boost
so the spark fires 22° before top dead center.
Sorry for asking this dumb question but I'm trying to understand the graph.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Re: Upsolute V2 VS +1.5 Advance with Lemmiwinks... (27psiBoom)

not to throw myself into your post but just to better understand this is my block 020 and in my thread i was told that my timing is set too high via sps3 and the highest mine went up was 7 just once.

and now im reading that its okay?
Sorry if its a dumb question.

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Upsolute V2 VS +1.5 Advance with Lemmiwinks... (halchka99)

Quote, originally posted by halchka99 »
not to throw myself into your post but just to better understand this is my block 020 and in my thread i was told that my timing is set too high via sps3 and the highest mine went up was 7 just once.
and now im reading that its okay?
Sorry if its a dumb question.

Hey by all means this is good and thanks for sharing your logs http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The ECU can pull up to 12° which would (I'm guessing) try to prevent any predetonation and of course these are within a calculated environment. Above and beyond retard of 12° would be detrimental.
I'm not completely knowledgable in this area...but I'm sure Chris or Scott Ramsey user scotty_passat can elaborate on this.

Modified by Don R at 6:41 PM 5-23-2004

1 - 11 of 11 Posts