VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
I've managed to stumble across a couple more Vortexers in the Ithaca area. Since I've missed out on the Fastdubs activity for like 5 months straight, I am proposing a g2g in Ithaca.
My car will be back on the road as of tomorrow afternoon. So, any time after that would be fine with me - this saturday is out (fiancee's birthday) but other than that, I'm free.
As far as location, I'm proposing Myers Park. Mostly because I am lazy, and it is about 50 feet from my apartment. We can cook there, hang out, make fun of the high school kids who hang there, cruise around town, etc. Hell, we could even go swimming, since the park is on the lake, but it might be a little frigid for that still. . .
Ithaca people, Fastdubs, anyone have interest?
-Nate

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (nianmuzik)

I forgot to mention this sunday is the first circle track race of the year up near watertown. A guy from Rome (circletrackvw on vortex) will be racing and thought we might caravan up with him. Ill get more details and start a thread on our forum. Let me know if your interested by the vortex IM thingy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (Boostin20v)

quote:[HR][/HR]I wish it were that simple.....[HR][/HR]​
Is all the work done on it yet? With all this speculation about what you were doing I thought maybe the car would be able to drive itself back... I guess not

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (SaabFan)

i could be there. gimme a time/date/directions/where to park, etc.
obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (87JettaGL)

Wow, good turnout for Ithaca!
quote:[HR][/HR]i propose later sunday afternoon. 2-3 maybe.[HR][/HR]​
What does everyone else think of this idea? We can do it at Myers park, meet some time Sunday afternoon, cook some food, etc.
I'll give general directions on here, that way I won't have to email them to everyone. Email me if you're confused by my directions.
Coming from downtown:
1) Get on 13 north.
2) Take the 34 North exit - it is right at the bottom of the hill, it is also the exit you take for Stewart Park.
3) Go North on 34. You'll climb up the ridge along the lake.
4) About 6 miles outside of town, you'll come to a T intersection. a resturaunt (Rogue's Harbour) will be on your right, a crummy gas station on your left. Turn left there, on to 34b.
5) about 1.9 miles up 34b, you'll want to turn left on to Myers Road. You'll know the turn cause you'll see the Lansing Schools on your right for about 200 yards before the turn. At the turn, there's a little Catholic Church.
6) Once you're on Myers Rd, you're home free - it winds down a hill for about a hundred yards, then you'll go through a 4 way stop and across some train tracks. Once across the tracks, you are in the park. (More or less. You'll see it when you're there.)
Coming from Cornell/Collegetown:
1)Go down to the bottom edge of West Campus, and get on Cayuga Heights Rd. (It is the road that winds along the edge of the gorges, it starts where Stuart Ave meets University Ave at that four-way stop near the frats at the northwest corner of West Campus. Basically, Stuart Ave turns in to Cayuga Heights Rd when it crosses Univeristy Ave.
2) Anyways - get on Cayuga Heights Rd, drive all the way through Cayuga Heights, and across the bridge over 13, then through the wilderness for a mile or two, and you'll get dumped out on to Rt. 34. Turn right on to 34, and follow step 4 above.
(sidenote - my apartment is in the big, run down blue building with the number 123 on the side of it, right at the intersection with the train tracks. You'll see my Corrado there if it isn't over in the park already.)
Coming from Cortland/Syracuse:
1) In Cortland, get on McLean Rd headed west out of town. You can get on it from 13 or from 281. Coming from Syracuse, get off the first Cortland exit, get on 281, and then get on McLean Rd. McLean Rd is also known as Rt 120 for a bit.
2) Follow McLean Rd to Mclean (a couple miles) Go through the 4 way stop sign, then, at the second intersection (a T intersection, you'll be coming down one leg of the top of the T) turn right, on to 34b.
3) Follow 34b for about 15 miles (give or take), through a 4 way stop, up and down some hills, etc and you'll eventually end up at the intersection mentioned in step 4 above.

Once people respond with yes/no votes on the time/date/location, we can work out details like what to do for food and stuff.
-Nate
PS - tell your friends. Especially you Ithaca guys. The more the merrier!

[Modified by SaabFan, 11:53 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
333 Posts

i'm in!
the problem is, rite now it's the 2nd midterm exam times at cornell
so i would vote for anytime during 27/28 weekend
hope that's a good tiem for others too
!!
bump

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (T0oDamnFast)

quote:[HR][/HR]how far is this from rochester?[HR][/HR]​
1.5 hr for you. here are the directions:
take I-90 til you hit exit 41.
turn on 414S til you hit 318E
then take Rt 20 E until you hit Rt 90S.
Take it until you get to Rt 34bS
10 miles later (10.2 miles actually) you'll see Myers Rd on your right... and that's it... go down from there...
Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (nianmuzik)

I'll have to check my days off... we're still recovering from the lift install from hell.. Not sure if my wheels will be back by then....so no car for me either.. I feel your pain Stu

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Upstate, fastdubs - Ithaca gtg! (veedubGT)

Cool. There are more of us in Ithaca than I knew about. Seems like 2 on sunday is the plan, then.
For those than can't make it then, there'll always be other g2g's

What does everyone wanna do for food? We've got three options:
1) Cook a bbq at the park. I dunno if those little charcoal grills will be out yet though.
2) Order pizza or something from my apartment. Like I said, I live like 40 feet from the park, so it would be convenient.
3) Go somewhere. The mall's about 5 minutes away, so we've got Pizza Hut, Applebees, any type of fast food, etc. Downtown's 10 minutes away, so we could basically eat anywhere.
-Nate

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

2pm on Sunday, 14-April-2002? i can do that no problem.
i'll be there probably in the 944, or the Scirocco 16V
obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Obin Robinson, 9:02 AM 4-9-2002]

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.