VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9A, 2.0L. Right next to the throttle body is a ground on the back passenger side corner of the head. Mine does not connect to anything....the wirte is only about 7 inches long though.
Anyone have clues as to what/where it connects to?

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Re: urgent, ground Q (bpfoley)

many ground wire connect to that. off hand i would guess 5.
not sure though. it also holds the right side (drivers) of the intake manifold up. two upper bolts and three lower. the drivers upper is a two part bolt (one bolt threads into another bolt). the grounds bolts to the first part, then the intake is held there by the second bolt.

does this make any sense?
hope this helps?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: urgent, ground Q (rockin16v)

wrong side of head....i know which one you speak of, near the distributer, with black, brown white, brown connectors..... this is just one black wire on the opposite side....standing in front of the car, it is practically right under the intake boot almost.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

hmmm, not drivers, it is on the opposite side of the distributer side. right next to where the throttle wire harness connects. Next to my distributer i have a bolt on peice with all sorts of wires grounding out..... that is ok and intact, but this one wire is only about 5 inches long and seems like it is supposed to ground something related to the throttle switches. i wish i had a digi cam

·
Registered
8,911 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
john, you and i are talking about the same ground i think

ahh the foilbles of miscommunication.
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, but our throttle bodies are on the opposite side. Hard to say whats going on here. The ground I'm speaking of is the flat ribbon with black insulation.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: urgent, ground Q (VWhombre)

this one is round, small, not sure one gauge though. it is right behind the timing belt flange (no timing cover installed).
hmm...loose wires really irk me though.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts

hmm...loose wires really irk me though.[HR][/HR]​
Especially ground wires. Is this a typical VW ground - brown insulation? What sort of connector is on the "free" end?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: urgent, ground Q (VWhombre)

hmm...loose wires really irk me though.
Especially ground wires. Is this a typical VW ground - brown insulation? What sort of connector is on the "free" end?[HR][/HR]​
it is not the typical brown wire, it is black and 18guage or perhaps less.(the only reference i can think of in my head for sure is 16guage and it is NOT that).
the other end is actually stripped of the insulation rather cleanly, about 3/4" and just bare wire. Again the wire is no more than 6".
thanks for any input. I wish i knew another 16valver in the area, a simple look would answer my question. A look through the bentley shows several ground points, but most of those (18) are the ground bracket. (bentley electrical diagrams...1990 GLI 16V pages 183-192) in fact i really dont see a black ground in the diagrams, nor could i see anything in the diagrams at the dealer in ETKA- but those diagrams don't seem well geared for electrical wiring of the car.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

looking through the bentley the only black grounds i find are:
-Ignition timing sensor
-page 184 shows black ground off OXSensor with a T4a/4 connector....
-page 185 shows black ground from knock sensor II
all three of these grounds are in reference the ground (18)...engine block...
i do not know the physical location of the ignition sensor nor the knock wiring. I know there is a ground on the front of the cylinder head that is next to the oil filler cap that i THINK goes to the OXS sensor....but not 100% on that....
does what i say make sense to anyone? or am i just grabbing at straws?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.