VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Such a F-You money car. Can't stand the way it looks, but if I needed the space but wanted a Lambo and had more money than I knew what to do with...why the hell not? I'd take an RSQ8 over it any day though.
Just wish they put a V10TT in it. That V8 is based off the old V10TT. Needs a ridiculous exhaust note to go with the looks and some separation to go with the price tag. But if it keeps the V12 alive I'll allow it.

·
Registered
16,231 Posts
Just wish they put a V10TT in it. That V8 is based off the old V10TT. Needs a ridiculous exhaust note to go with the looks and some separation to go with the price tag. But if it keeps the V12 alive I'll allow it.
Needs a hybrid V12 and crazier styling.

·
Registered
22,248 Posts
The downside is that these companies are whoring out their brand equity for short-term sales. You can put a high-end badge on a downmarket, boring platform and it will sell, but what are the long-term consequences?
Possibly nothing at all, especially when other high end brands get in on the game and put a SUV as the 'entry level' model. Can't see a affluent middle eastern oil kid or basketball star wife scoffing at a future Lambo because of the popular SUV. If anything positioning these 'popular' crossovers as the 'base' help insulate the higher sports/ultra lux models by making them seem more rare by comparison.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,847 Posts
The downside is that these companies are whoring out their brand equity for short-term sales. You can put a high-end badge on a downmarket, boring platform and it will sell, but what are the long-term consequences?

Ask Porsche about the long term consequences of selling the Cayenne... How "short term" are the sales of that vehicle? And has it changed the brand equity of a GT3RS?

The fact is, there are no negative effects and they keep the brands viable to make the fun stuff we enthusiasts love.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Wait until Ferrari comes out with one ;)
It's a foregone conclusion at this point. The only SUV-less automakers will be tiny boutique automakers (like Morgan). Even "add lightness and simplify" Lotus is getting on the bandwagon (well, assuming the Chinese are willing to bankroll their continued existence).

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Ask Porsche about the long term consequences of selling the Cayenne... How "short term" are the sales of that vehicle? And has it changed the brand equity of a GT3RS?

The fact is, there are no negative effects and they keep the brands viable to make the fun stuff we enthusiasts love.
Exactly. And it's hardly "down market" anyway. Cheapest used one in the country is $224k, with most new ones selling between $250-270k. That's pretty much on par with brand new Huracans, except margins are probably at least double.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,375 Posts
Porsche has been in the SUV business for almost 20 years now. Last year, they sold 280K cars, a 10% increase over 2018, and of that Cayenne and Macan accounted for 68.5%. Yup they're sure regretting that decision.

·
Registered
34,865 Posts
Actually, Canadians love their high end cars. Canada is one of the top BMW M countries per capita as well. I suspect it's the same with AMG, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
I'd be willing to bet it's not Canadians buying those cars, it's the rich immigrants hiding their wealth in Canada who are buying them. I've seen the pictures of entire neighborhoods in Vancouver where nothing is even in English.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,358 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it's not Canadians buying those cars, it's the rich immigrants hiding their wealth in Canada who are buying them. I've seen the pictures of entire neighborhoods in Vancouver where nothing is even in English.
The first part is not really wrong, lots of money laundering for sure.

Second part is... Probably Chinatown? There are also some places in Richmond with Chinese signage everywhere, but there's never no English at all. Richmond is more than 50% Chinese population now.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
pretty disgusting.
Better to have Lambo + SUV than no Lambo at all IMO. No need to get upset over cars you will prob never see bought by people you will never meet. The game is the game.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
There was an old lady who lived in a shoe
She had so many kids
Her Urus fell out :p
^^^ You, I like you. :p :D

The first part is not really wrong, lots of money laundering for sure.

Second part is... Probably Chinatown? There are also some places in Richmond with Chinese signage everywhere, but there's never no English at all. Richmond is more than 50% Chinese population now.
Greater Toronto Area here. :wave:

They are sold like crazy here. Markham was over 50% Chinese when I left in 2014. Some much HK money floating around.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Better to have Lambo + SUV than no Lambo at all IMO. No need to get upset over cars you will prob never see bought by people you will never meet. The game is the game.
i know that's where we disagree but this ever-growing SUV marketshare is taking over entirely. And I really hate this thing.

Even Lotus, company of "add lightness" minimalist sports cars, is building an SUV because of the demand for...a performance SUV.

I just don't get it.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I'm not surprised because they're friggen awesome. A white one would be my first purchase right after collecting my oversized novelty check from the Powerball people.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
i know that's where we disagree but this ever-growing SUV marketshare is taking over entirely. And I really hate this thing.

Even Lotus, company of "add lightness" minimalist sports cars, is building an SUV because of the demand for...a performance SUV.

I just don't get it.
Would you rather a world where companies like Aston/Lotus/etc. don't exist at all? Because that's the only alternative. Then SUVs would REALLY take over, because less and less people are building true to the game sports cars.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts