VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

“To support the transition to electric vehicles, we must build a national charging network that makes finding a charge as easy as filling up at a gas station”. said U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.
These resources include new NEVI formula program Questions and Answers and a new resource to help states, particularly rural states, evaluate the best locations for charging stations when it may not be possible to provide charging stations at the required 50-mile intervals.
Looks like one of the chief complaints that non-EV users have about not enough charging infrastructure for road trips is being addressed with this new directive and $5 billion in DOT funding.

·
Registered
43,515 Posts
Looks like one of the chief complaints that non-EV users have about not enough charging infrastructure for road trips is being addressed with this new directive and $5 billion in DOT funding.
then it sounds like we're gonna have to move the goalposts!

but in all seriousness, this is a good thought about making a plan to form a committee to create the first budget proposal to take the first step toward an EV future. i cant wait!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Never happen in our lifetime.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Agreed.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
So a nationalized "fueling" system?

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Yes. Along our nationalized roads.
OK, I wasn't aware the current stations along those same roads were nationalized. Thanks or the clarification 👍

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
So how long do I have to sit there waiting for my EV to charge? Not sarcasm, just genuinely curious how long it will interrupt, say, a cross country drive.
This depends on what EV you have and how you use it and how much power the charging station has. At the moment among somewhat-affordable vehicles, it seems like the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis E-GMP vehicles have the best charging situation, and if the charger has enough power, those will do something like 10% - 80% state-of-charge in 18 minutes and that's good for 200-ish miles / 300-ish km (so 3 hours).

Most people are going to stop for a coffee / meal / bathroom break for something like that amount of time every few hours anyhow, and if you arrange to do that in conjunction with a charging stop ... it doesn't add much, if anything, to the length of the journey. Of course, older-tech shorter-range slower-charging vehicles won't be like that.

Go on youtube and look up Bjorn Nyland and his "1000 km challenge" tests.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Subsidised, more likely. I doubt if this will take the form of enormous service centres dedicated to EV charging ... more likely, existing petrol stations and rest stops and truck stops will get subsidies for putting in charging stations. That's how it has been happening here.
That's what I was thinking, and it makes sense, but this is the U.S. government and making sense usually doesn't.

1 - 20 of 427 Posts