VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
US OEM and Euro OEM H&R Spring Rates

Every now and again someone asks for the US OEM and the Euro OEM H&R spring rates. Instead of going off memory or having to search through reams of threads to pick out the information I've including it here in this one thread. A Mod has been contacted to place a link to this post in the MKIV R32 FAQ section:
US OEM spring rate:
F ~270 lbs.
R ~345-390 lbs. (Progressive spring)
Euro OEM spring rate:
F ~280 lbs.
R ~320 - 440 lbs.
These are estimates taken from various R32 threads from sources that I believe reliable. If anyone has more detailed knowledge of more accurate rates please come forward in this thread.
Edit: Included A4tg's input

Edit: Updated Euro spring rates from GTIXXX's info from Neuspeed and his reference to an Autoweek article with content from VW engineers confirming similar spring rates US vs Euro

Modified by Back2Dubs at 10:46 AM 10-16-2008

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Re: US OEM and Euro OEM H&R Spring Rates (Back2Dubs)

When back over some old data that I have.
The fronts are closer to 275, with rears 345-380. Manufactured by H&R like the Eurosprings but without the stamping...

Modified by a4tq at 10:21 AM 10-16-2008

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: US OEM and Euro OEM H&R Spring Rates (a4tq)

Ok, added and averaged your input to my post. I think these estimates will have to do for now and will at least provide a decent reference point.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I'm wondering why the European spring rates are flipped front to back from the US springs.
That seems like a pretty big difference, but maybe I don't fully understand the difference between progressive and non-progressive springs.
Anyone feel like going into a little detail?

·
Registered
757 Posts
This is interesting. Those anyone have the rates on the H&R sport springs?

I am currently running the H&R sport springs with bilstein sports and considering going back to the stock springs.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
According to Aaron at Neuspeed, he measured both the Euro and US springs and stated that the front and rear rates are the same and the only difference is that the Euros are 10 mm shorter.

Front 280

Rear 320 - 440
Think about this. The US ride height, springs, shocks and rear sway bar thickness are completely different from the Euro setup. How likely would it be that the spring rates are the same for both setups?

However, I'll grant that it is possible and is perhaps the best evidence for spring rates that we have to date. So, in lieu of any spring rate readout pics to positively verify rates, and the difficulty in getting accurate information from spring manufacturers, I've updated the Euro Spring info on my original Post to include your information.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Think about this. The US ride height, springs, shocks and rear sway bar thickness are completely different from the Euro setup. How likely would it be that the spring rates are the same for both setups?

However, I'll grant that it is possible and is perhaps the best evidence for spring rates that we have to date. So, in lieu of any spring rate readout pics to positively verify rates, and the difficulty in getting accurate information from spring manufacturers, I've updated the Euro Spring info on my original Post to include your information.
Having recently done this install and comparing the US and Euro springs, I noticed the following:
Euro front springs have a noticeably thicker wire diameter but are shorter overall (about 1.5 inches shorter when placed next to each other).
Euro rear springs have a noticeably thinner wire diameter and are about the same length (I didn't measure, just placed them side by side).

This means the Euro fronts are stiffer than US and the Euro rears are softer than US.

I used the spacer piece on the fronts at the top spring cap, so the front ride height is higher than stock, while the rear is now lower due to the lower spring rate.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Just throwing out an idea.

In Europe there is a four door version of R32 with different rear springs again..so perhaps they may add a bit to the rear???

Presumably being a bit "heavier" to compensate for extra minor weight on back end???

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I started this thread back in 2004 I had scoured the web for whatever info I could find and then chose what looked to me like the most reliable information. Ten years on and there is still doubt as to what the actual rates are, especially for the Euro springs. Anyone who has worked with both sets of springs will have noticed the length, coil count and wire diameter thickness differences between the US and Euro springs, but without actually testing the rates on a machine it's impossible to know if they do, or do not, have similar rates.

If anyone with a set of Euro springs from the 2-door MKIV R32 lying around were to have them tested then we would have a definitive answer. Until then, reported data from Neuspeed seems to be the best info that we have at this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.