VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It was twenty-five years ago that BMW released the M3 on the American market, creating an icon for the brand that billed itself as building the Ultimate Driving Machine. Since then, the M3 has been a perennial favorite among performance driving enthusiasts. To commemorate a quarter century of this legendary model, BMW North America has commissioned a very special edition of the 2011 M3 coupe.

There won't be any "special edition" badging emblazoned on this model, however. Instead, it will be known instantly by its special finish, Frozen Gray, a matte-finished version of BMW's popular Space Gray paint that is available in Europe as a BMW Individual color. BMW will build just thirty — that's right, 3-0 — examples of the 2011 Frozen Gray M3. All will be coupes, and will be equipped identically... FULL STORY AND GALLERY

· Registered
5,042 Posts
I actually think the paint looks pretty wicked, the light weight wheels and cross drilled rotors look sweet too.

That's pretty much where my enthusiasm stops, it's lame that there will be no manual available and the interior leather combination looks lame, tacky, and kind of cheap.

One thing's for sure though, this will be one rare car!

· Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,701 Posts
Heritage colors would have been better. Maybe a subtle tri-color hash stripe somewhere on the fender, but only if it could be done tastefully. Same with the seats.

· Registered
5,198 Posts
I've always been impressed that M3 buyers seem much more of the "use the car as intended" school, than the collector-oriented crowd that buys many Porsches (not all, I realize that owners race Porsches actively in PCA events, etc, please don't freak out on me). So it seems weird for BMW to make a car like this. It's much more of a Porsche move.

· Registered
9,378 Posts
The M3 was launched in the American market 25 years ago? I thought the first M3 to come to the US was
in 88.
Production began in '86 in Europe and this is a '11 model, however I'm uncertain when the first US M3 went on sale. I like the matte finish, and I'm sure it'll look even better in person. I agree that a LTW tri-color version should be introduced.

· Registered
2018 VW e-Golf, 2018 Audi RS3, 2016 BMW M235i
1,401 Posts
Production began in '86 in Europe and this is a '11 model, however I'm uncertain when the first US M3 went on sale. I like the matte finish, and I'm sure it'll look even better in person. I agree that a LTW tri-color version should be introduced.
The km article is claiming 25 years in America, but I'm thinking this is to commemorate 25 years of M3 production.

· Registered
24,124 Posts

· Registered
6,803 Posts
Heritage colors would have been better. Maybe a subtle tri-color hash stripe somewhere on the fender, but only if it could be done tastefully. Same with the seats.
I agree...or maybe some custom stitching on the seats or inside?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.