VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know me, some may not..Either way here is the deal

I went through the inspection on base today (spangdahlem) and was failed for 2 reasons. 1) My license plate was a little too loose. and 2) My air ride suspension needs to be TUV approved.

#2 sounds like a load of crap to me. I've looked at USAREUR reg 190-1 or for us AF folks USAFE 31-202. Here is a direct quote from Section C-20 paragraph A. a. "Installation of automatic level control, air or gas shock absorbers, or coilspring airbags is authorized if it does not
change the handling characteristics of the vehicle. "

I have a US spec 2009 GTI on Airlift XL air ride suspension (an American company). The suspension has been tested and designed specifically for my car and is legal in the states. Airlift is actually writing me up a letter from their company stating this as well just to help.

But anyways looks like b-holder might be plan B :) I don't really know if I feel like fighting the man right now over something like this. So should I just try my luck out at b-holder or stick it to the man? Or am I missing a reg somewhere that says US spec cars with aftermarket suspension needs to be TUV approved? :thumbdown::banghead::mad::screwy::thumbdown:

·
Registered
983 Posts
you can talk to the guy on base with the black ranger on bags. Did you ask them to show you the reg? B-holder isnt all ways a fix. i failed out there also. It sounds like BS to me

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A guy on Spandgahlem with a black ranger? I don't think I've ever seen that one? Well it may just be worth a shot though. I was so pissed off I didnt even think to ask for the reg but I just used the references given on the inspection sheet which is the criteria they inspect with.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ive had mine pass every year since 2004 without any problems in Mainz Kastel. German Tuev for air ride requires the car to have bump stops in them and when all air is out of the bags, the car must still be able to drive and make turns without rubbing! Also 4 way is out of the question so if you must go to Tuev, you have to disable two buttons and or run the lines with only 2 way action which can be a pain in the bottom which you already know.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah and bumpstops would also be a problem...bumpstops hahaha unless you count my subframe ;)

I'll try it again next week and let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
If you need Tuev for the air ride, you can contact any air ride company and ask them to make it for you. Streettec or Bullock for this. I am sure one of them can help you out.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry man but you have no idea how much trouble I went through to get these bags on...and for the look I was going for coils just won't get me there w/out making my car completely unapproachable for the family...Not to mention getting over speed bumps into the auto hobby shop blah blah blah...

I need to see something that says I NEED to get TUV approval for an American aftermarket suspension on a US spec car.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,687 Posts
The TUev is really cracking down... not just on military, but other Americans that previously had an immunity of sorts.

I just brought in a US-spec B5 Passat, the TUeV made me install new headlights (old ones were slightly yellow), install a rear fog and add reflectors to the bumper even though the stock tails are the same as German spec.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That doesn't make any sense. Why are we having to modify our cars in ways that make it w/in German spec if we are not living here permanently. I'm all for a general safey and reliability inspection on our vehicles. But our cars from the factory don't pass TUEV so why would we need to go through them?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The TUev is really cracking down... not just on military, but other Americans that previously had an immunity of sorts.

I just brought in a US-spec B5 Passat, the TUeV made me install new headlights (old ones were slightly yellow), install a rear fog and add reflectors to the bumper even though the stock tails are the same as German spec.
Why did you have to go through TueV, if you're american? I've never heard of anyone here with the US Forces to have to modify a stock car to pass inspection.

Sounds like a crock of sh*t to me. Your guys in H-town might need to check the regs again, because as far as US Forces go, our Regulations take precedence over the TueV.

From what I was told, their rules DO NOT APPLY TO US!! And this was told to me by the inspector a month ago, when I took the wifey's new car through.

Another example, my coilovers are TueV approved down to -80mm, but the Inspection place doesn't care, since that would give me less than 13cm ground clearance. The reg states that all "hard" parts, meaning oil pans, subframes, etc., must have 13cm of ground clearance.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,687 Posts
I'm not military...

There was an internal memo floating around Hamburg recently talking about not giving diplomats a break on certain things. Apparently rear fogs are required now among other things.

·
Premium Member
18,760 Posts
Dude, if you are on the economy, it's TS. We got the same thing - still haven't brought my Passat over because I haven't decided whether to bite the bullet on the stupid headlamp motors thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hear this alot now. I am on the economy, originally from NY.

I am selling an E34 5-series(germam spec/title of course), and they want it INSPECTED on base in K-Town Before registration!!! How the hell do they expect people to pick up their car, and get it ready for Inspection when the can't even drive it??? I live 45km from K-Town......not a cheap tow for him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts