VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1349 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea of how the order process will work for a 2022 Golf R?

I hope it similar to ordering a 2015 and we'll be able to order directly from VW then select what dealership we want it delivered to.

I just put a deposit with a dealer in Utah, they didn't have much information other than that they had 5-10 people on a waiting list. I figured I would just get on a list and hope for the best for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I hope it similar to ordering a 2015 and we'll be able to order directly from VW then select what dealership we want it delivered to.

I just put a deposit with a dealer in Utah, they didn't have much information other than that they had 5-10 people on a waiting list. I figured I would just get on a list and hope for the best for now.

They have not sent us pricing on them as they will be out either Q4 21 or Q1 22, will be available in white, lapiz blue & black in the USA. Each dealer will be allocated based on orders to fill, then assign remaining cars to dealers that earned them thru sales Og the GTI. Order period should open sometime August- September

·
Registered
444 Posts
How about bring the DSG version over Q4 2021 and hold off with the manual transmission version until 2022 allowing VW time to source an old Audi transmission or develop a transmission for North America that can handle all 310 ft. lbs of torque?

I had a 10 year old 1993 VW Corrado SLC with the VR6 motor. The torque in Germany for the 2.9 VR6 was 181 ft. lbs and 178 ft. lbs for the US 2.8 VR6. In comparison the G60 4 cylinder supercharged version had 162 ft. lbs of torque, almost 20 ft lbs of torque less. I rode shotgun in a G60 Corrado on the Nurburgring at a Corrado Treffen when I studied abroad and while it’s not a VR6 it’s not bad. The US press didn’t think the Corrado had enough power until the G60 was dropped and the VR6 was the only motor choice for the US...

That wasn’t even a difference of 20 ft. lbs of torque, but for the Golf 8 R it would be a difference of 30 ft. lbs. So I would be purchasing a dumbed down performance car for the same price as the actual performance car. Even my 8 year old son thinks it’s stupid. He thinks I should get a manual transmission Porsche instead.

·
Banned
53,531 Posts

You are always able to order the vehicle you want from the VW dealer of your choice. You wait for the order process to start, enter a sales contract for the vehicle you want, and wait for your vehicle to be delivered to your dealer. This process worked well for my Mk2 GTI, Mk3 GTI, Mk4 GTI, Mk6 Golf R and Mk7 Golf R. You just need patience and the vehicle will arrive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You are always able to order the vehicle you want from the VW dealer of your choice. You wait for the order process to start, enter a sales contract for the vehicle you want, and wait for your vehicle to be delivered to your dealer. This process worked well for my Mk2 GTI, Mk3 GTI, Mk4 GTI, Mk6 Golf R and Mk7 Golf R. You just need patience and the vehicle will arrive.
So basically you follow the same order process for any other vehicle. Does VW have any order tracking like BMW?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the first 500 MK7 Rs, the process was a little different. In 2015, VW had a portal to order directly from them and then select a dealer later. I really liked ordering my MK7 that way because it prevented dealers from putting huge markups on the cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For the first 500 MK7 Rs, the process was a little different. In 2015, VW had a portal to order directly from them and then select a dealer later. I really liked ordering my MK7 that way because it prevented dealers from putting huge markups on the cars.
This. I hope VW is doing this for the Mk8s. Thanks for clarifying FLGolf

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can you get below MSRP on a new car like this in the early stages? I thought it would just be sticker price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, yes, a dealer can do what they want. Their cost is below Invoice as well.

But, my point, was the poster said they got Invoice direct from VW. That seems odd the manufacturer would discount below MSRP for preorders.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I mean, yes, a dealer can do what they want. Their cost is below Invoice as well.

But, my point, was the poster said they got Invoice direct from VW. That seems odd the manufacturer would discount below MSRP for preorders.
Im surprised by this as well. I wouldnt expect that if ordered direct via VW. I also anticipate that dealers will be tacking onto the MSRP to capitalize for early/eager buyers. Then its all up to supply and demand and finding the right dealer for the right price. I like negotiating but I wont deal with dealers that are just plain greedy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
it was never said they paid invoice, just didn't pay huge markups on it. I am sure they paid more than invoice. But like all new cars that come to market, and especially ones like this, dealers will mark it way up, only to slowly bring it back down once the markets are a little more flooded with cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered one of the first 500, I think they sold out in about 11 hours. I paid invoice.
it was never said they paid invoice, just didn't pay huge markups on it. I am sure they paid more than invoice. But like all new cars that come to market, and especially ones like this, dealers will mark it way up, only to slowly bring it back down once the markets are a little more flooded with cars.
FLGolf said they paid invoice - but maybe I read that wrong?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess in Europe they're getting discounts on their 8R orders
that was fun, I read every post with an english accent - im sure the NA market will get to the point of discounts too just who knows when. new 2021 mk7.5 GTIs are going for under invoice in the chicagoland area now.

They really get to a la carte their orders over the pond, pretty cool but then everything is an at cost option... I guess having the 1 and done NA spec makes it easier. Unless they end up pricing this thing at $48k US. That would be a real bummer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How did you pay Invoice by ordering direct from VW? VW should charge MSRP. The dealership is where you can negotiate the price of the car down.
The way I remember it working was that I put my order in directly with VW through a portal on their website. It was a $500 deposit to secure the allocation. Once I had the allocation, I called dealers in my area to negotiate the price. Myself and many others were able to get the cars at invoice because we had the allocation, not the dealer.

1 - 20 of 1349 Posts