VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 186 of 186 Posts

· Registered
3,120 Posts
found your road trips by looking at the BBS your selling...

You've done 1 of my bucket list goals.
- my timing happens to be available & I was actually in the process of planning a 2 wk. roadtrip across the states from LI.
Your threads have given me a real idea of what to expect & what can actually be accomplished in a given timeframe. Unfortunately this means I wont get to visit all the places I want to on 1 trip. :(
... but it has shed some light on what I def. do want to see.

If things stay on schedule I hope to start my trip in aprox 3-4wks. I really want to travel to the SW.
(NY, TN, LA, through TX to NM, AZ, NV & maybe Palm Springs then home bound. The return route may be partially on RT66)

...and I'm still considering your 14" BBS :p

· Registered
18,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Hey Keith. :) Let me know if you need any help with the planning. Rt66 shouldn't play a big part in the trip though, it's boring and filled with the crumbling remains of what used to be roadside ammenities. It's cool for a few hours or even half a day but with the poorly-maintained roads, low speed limits (when compared to the 75mph interstates), and not a whole lot to see or do, it's almost a waste of time to dedicate several days to it imo.

I'm itching to do somewhere again. Had 2 trips planned out for going south earlier this year that didn't pan out. A third if you count not being about to make it to SoWo due to a scheduling conflict.

· Banned
799 Posts
You must have a super comfy suspension! my supersport cupkit is nice, but i drove 300 miles non-stop once and I was tired of it very quickly! your mpg's are really good too, I only got 30mpg highway on my short trip.
I'm jelly

· Registered
18,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Suspension's not bad (or maybe I'm just used to it). Anything outside of driving in NYC is like riding on glass in comparison.
My mpg's were that much when the car was an automatic. Now that it's been swapped to manual, I'm getting in the mid 30's. About 34-36mpg. Once got 38 over the course of a tank but it might've been a fluke. Depends on how and where you drive.

· Registered
1,761 Posts
I just came back from a trip to Norfolk VA.

It was 440 miles. Made it all the way down there, a couple runs to the store and then my gas light turned on. Tank was topped off.

So if my math is right, thats around 36 mpg.

and yes.... NY has the worst roads BY FAR:D

This is on my beloved 2 liter that also made it from CT to CA.

Car had 191k prior to VA trip. No mods except swisscheese airbox and exhaust.

Took a different route on the way back which added 100 miles to the trip, but Kings Dominion was well worth it

181 - 186 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.