VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 186 Posts

· Registered
3,294 Posts
You are doing what most cannot do or are to affraid to do. (myself included) You are living the Dream. As you said others have a different key to happiness, I think you are turning your key to open that door.

Way to go and I am glad you can share your journey!

:thumbup:

· Registered
494 Posts
Roadtrip is my favorite

I'm jealous!

These pictures remind me of my roadtrips. I did 2 big roadtrips and several small ones.

- First trip in 2000 from Socal to Boston, MA: socal->san fran.->lake tahoe->reno->saltlake city-->indiana->nebraska->ohio->wyoming->long island ny->pa->boston.

- Second trip in 2005 from Boston to Miami to Socal: boston ->nyc->dc->nc->atlanta->daytona beach->west palm beach->south beach->mobile, al->ms->ar->ok->nm->so cal.

Since I have kid, we still do small trips (less than 10 hours driving each direction), but not long long trip. One of my favorite of roadtrip is eating local food.

Can't wait for my kid to grow up so we can do long roadtrips.

Keep posting your pics and your writing is very interesting and descriptive. Thx

· Registered
1,485 Posts
wow i love your road trip threads so cool and your writing is very easy and a pleasure to read.

im just wondering- when you switching to a TD/TDI? go about 1/3 extra milage and up here diesel is often cheaper

· Registered
B5 S4
2,139 Posts
Subscribed to this one. Interesting idea. Would love to do that myself.

· Registered
18,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
By the way, I'm already back. Came back earlier this month. I went where I went and did what I did; there's no changing that now.

What's your plan for minnesota? You should drive up duluth then hit the north shore of lake superior. The drive to grand marias is amazing and there's tons of state parks to stop at.
You already saw my plan for Minnesota- just the Mall of America. :laugh: Gotta keep going, lots of good stuff out there to see.

in.

I wish there were more epic threads like this on here.
Me too. I like threads that tell a story.

did you take the toll road through indiana? that's about 40 minutes north of where i live in indiana. and yeah, it's an awful state to both live in and drive through.
Yep, I think so. Took I-80 back and forth. Indiana's not so bad. I liked Indianapolis last time I came through there. :thumbup:

in for this.

if for some odd reason you venture around my neck of the woods - holler.
Cut across the northern part of Idaho. Where's the pictures you were supposed to take when you moved there from MD?

It's cool that you take your time and see stuff.
I've done CT-Cali-CT, CT-Ottawa/Toronto (tons for school), and just recently CT-Colorado (-Utah-Colorado for a mini vacation). Same deal with people not committing to come along. Their loss!
You should see the mechanics who work on my car when I tell them what I'm about to do, haha. 'Til the wheels fall off.
Damn straight :thumbup:

I'm jealous!

These pictures remind me of my roadtrips. I did 2 big roadtrips and several small ones.
I'm guessing you were moving or for school? When you're moving to different parts of the country, it's great to use the trip to sightsee a little bit along the way. :thumbup:

all in all about how much did this trip run you? gas?lodging?
Well I took a lot of food with me. Crackers, tuna fish, canned food, granola bars, etc. Plus I didn't eat much. Or stay in too many motels. Grand total of everything including gas, food, lodging, excursions, souveniers, car washes, oil changes, tolls, absolutely everything was about $1650. Gas was a major part of the expenses, probably 75%. Just goes to show it's possible to do this on a very limited budget.

wow i love your road trip threads so cool and your writing is very easy and a pleasure to read.

im just wondering- when you switching to a TD/TDI? go about 1/3 extra milage and up here diesel is often cheaper
Thanks man. Believe it or not, I don't drive much. If I get another car it'll have a VR.

Driving long distance with out the pressure of "getting there" is a good feeling.
You can really soak in the scenery. Nice pics Danny.

What music do you listen to ?

lou:thumbup:
Absolutely. A little bit of everything. Hip-hop, rap, alternative, pop, rock, and house. Mostly techno remixes of popular songs when I get tired to wake me up. It's good to have variety.

Love it Danny. Excellent Thread.

Glad you're home safe. :thumbup:
^ THIS guy! He helped me out while I was on the road but I'll get to that later. :p

You must have an awesome, flexible job. Wish I could do something like this. Then again, my mk3 falls apart if you drive it more than 10 miles at a time. Great to see a clean, well maintained mk3 doing what it was meant for.
I'm working in the family business right now. Good thing about it is that I can say "Well pops, I'll see ya in a few weeks" hahaha. I get time off whenever I want, but then again so can he. I'd like to start doing something else though, and this trip was sort of my last hurrah before I go.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
i think i saw you on 80 heading east in PA cant remember the date cuz i was pretty hungover from the night before. I do know what you mean by the whole driving thing. I drove from NC to Ohio for a wedding and then from Ohio to NJ. That whole drive was amazing it really lifted my spirits and after 35 days in 29 Palms CA i need something to help me relax and that was def it. great thread hope to see some more pics soon. :thumbup:

· Registered
18,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i think i saw you on 80 heading east in PA cant remember the date cuz i was pretty hungover from the night before. I do know what you mean by the whole driving thing. I drove from NC to Ohio for a wedding and then from Ohio to NJ. That whole drive was amazing it really lifted my spirits and after 35 days in 29 Palms CA i need something to help me relax and that was def it. great thread hope to see some more pics soon. :thumbup:
Hahaha that was you? Black GLX with Jersey plates? The date was Sunday July 3rd. I would have liked to cruise but why the heck were you going so slow? Your car is incredibly loud, I could hear it coming a mile away every time I stopped to take a leak. I took 2 pee brakes and still was ahead of you. :laugh: Took a picture of your car rolling, I'll post it up at the end of the thread. :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.