VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm tired in moving from Nav to iPhone to iPod on the infotainment system and thought, hey simple, USB expander right? It's a computer what could be easier! :banghead:

So I bought what ended up being a USB 2 expander but no dice. :mad:

Anyone know if USB 3 WILL work before I shell out more for one? Maybe i'm out of luck and the system just doesn't comply with true USB. TIA

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey! I'm a computer guy first then a VW guy.
First off I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish, connect more than one device to the usb port? Impossible. The radio unit does not use the same x86 architecture drivers for usb as a regular PC, furthermore I doubt it will have the correct coding / driver to even recognize a USB hub, let alone handle switching between different instances of carplay depending on the device.
1. I would suggest paying $25 a year for Apple's iTunes Match service. That means you music library will be on the cloud and you can access your entire lib on your iPhone with only a data connection. This does not take storage on your iPhone. (I have unlimited data plan so that helps).
2. Other option is Apple music or similar music service from your iPhone, again requires unlimited data unless you are on T-Mobile, in which case streaming music does not count toward your data plan. This wont take storage either. (obviously)
3. If data is a problem, then your better off buying a big sd card and sync your iTunes to that and leave the card in the VW radio unit. The only problem is that this is a very "5 years ago" solution and adding / deleting songs reqires a pc and you have to use the vw radio for finding songs. Which imo is a pita.

Best option is embrace the internet and try getting an unlimited data plan even if its 3g. Music streaming is music catching up to tech. Its here and not going to be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx GT. just because my iPod holds more music than my phone

so I'd like to have the iPod for the music and the phone for apps, etc. I can plug the iPod in as a player into the aux port but it won't charge, which it does on the USB. But on my Mac, of course, I can plug in drives, ipod, iphone all through a usb expander (1 to 4) so I figured it might work in the car.

Not insurmountable but less convenient. Thanks for your note.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
so I'd like to have the iPod for the music and the phone for apps, etc. I can plug the iPod in as a player into the aux port but it won't charge, which it does on the USB. But on my Mac, of course, I can plug in drives, ipod, iphone all through a usb expander (1 to 4) so I figured it might work in the car.

Not insurmountable but less convenient. Thanks for your note.
The easy solution to this is to get a USB charger that goes in your 12v port and charge the iPod that way while having it hooked up to the AUX.

The cleaner, but more expensive solution is to get this: http://www.doubleapex.co/collections/vw/products/usb_charger_usb01?variant=338115402 It'll do the same while leaving your 12v port free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Switching between devices.

I would offer up a way to at least get rid of one device. Those units have an SD Card Port. For under $50 you can get a 128gig card which could handle most libraries. You also get the added benefit of being able to do 24bit/192 Flac files.(at least on the nav units) The bump up in quality even with just MP3s over using your phone/iPod is quite noticeable. Then like Arbon said you can just get a USB charger for your 12v port. Then you have can have your phone plugged in for App Connect and your Nav plugged in for everything else.

I'd also ask if you could use the map app on your phone using App Connected instead of having the additional unit. Then you would be down to one device. Just a thought though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-One-...TF8&qid=1453487555&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+switch

I feel like something with an actual defined switch would work since its only looking one place at a time. Why not stash this in your center console or glove box? Easy day :thumbup:
That's the exact opposite of what he needs. That will be able to connect his device to 2 computers (or vw radios) at the same time but not the other way around.

I guess you could charge from a 12v car adaptor / get the clean oem looking charging port and play music off bluetooth. Bluetooth should not affect the qulaity of the song vs a direct connection as a song even at a bit rate of 320kb is a minuscule amount of data. Actually Bluetooth will be better than AUX as it sends the song digitally rather than through analog signals. Gl :)

And to answer Krusty, No, songs on a sd card don't sound any better because you can store the same bit rate songs on your iPod if you want. If you really want that super high bit rate, lossless track The iPod supports an audio format called "Apple Lossless" which will not render ANY loss in audio quality. It believed to be based off FLAC..
http://www.applelossless.com/

Also you can convert it to this format using iTunes, its built in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.