VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's face it, the location of the USB port is in a really bad spot on our MK VII VW's! I've got a 2017 Alltrack and decided to make a modification using some ideas from others who have decided to do the same thing. Here's my solution.

(Disclaimer: If you decide to make this modification, it is at your own risk. I am not liable for any incorrect information, damage to your car, audio system damage, malfunction or any issues or accidents you have with your car. You assume all risk for this and any modification you make to your car.)

The final product, (mounting orientation is just how you place the phone on the magnetic mount).

Vertical mount:

Horizontal mount - doesn't interfere with front cupholder:

Instructions on removing cubby, (from another user in another forum):

http://tinyurl.com/y62pe4ka

Routing cable:

Through cubby:

Under drivers side console trim:

Through parking brake boot, (Removing the boot is simple. Just use your fingers to gently pull it up):

Parking boot re-seated:

Mount installed, (Available at Amazon - SCOSCHE MAGDMB MagicMount Universal Magnetic Phone/GPS Mount):

Happy modding!

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
It looks clean, nicely done.
I'm just curious, how did you exactly fit the USB extension cable's connector end through that tiny hole you made in the cubby wall - unless...is that an iPhone? I've never had one but I noticed in the store that the connector going into the phone is smaller - "lightning" type, or what is called?
That would explain why the whole doesn't look larger through that rubber lining.
Sorry, didn't mean to detract attention from your nicely done job, am just curious by nature.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The hole that you see in on the rubber mat. You have to also drill a hole in the plastic cubby enclosure at the same location of the hole in the rubber mat. The hole in the plastic cubby needs to be big enough to fit the lightning cable through. The hole in the rubber mat can be smaller since it will expand when you force the cable through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts