VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
A friend of mine is interested in purchasing a recently used car to replace her 96 camry 2-door 5-speed. Her main requirements are that the car be 0-3 yrs old and an automatic (she's been having issues w/ her left ankle and the 5-speed has been exacerbating those pains). Oh and less than $18K. Also of interest would be reliability and safety.
She has claimed interest in the newer Volvos (e.g. 2000(?)+ S40) ... what have your experiences been w/ the newer Volvos (issues, praises, dealership service experiences, etc)?
As a note her very first car was a used 197x (I think) Super Beetle ...

Thanks!!

· Registered
38,186 Posts
Re: Used for car for <= $18K; the newer Volvos? (Mencius01)

I had a 2000 S40 sedan for only 10 months - it was a lemon (due to various electrical problems). I do see a lot of them on the road, though.
And since it has a turbo engine, I wouldn't bother with one that doesn't have a detailed maintenance history.

· Registered
858 Posts

There has been no other car besides a Volvo in my household untill my dub. My family sings nothign but praises for them. But note, when something does go wrong, you will pay ALOT! Good luck, and if she has or had a Camry, other than a honda what will come close in reliability?

· Registered
28,732 Posts

Hmmm, I recall someone in 2001 got a new Camry LE 4-cylinder automatic for under $18,000. If she likes Camrys or Toyotas (or wants Toyota reliability), a Camry, Matrix, 2003+ Corolla, Echo, Scion xA, or Scion xB may fit the bill (either new or top condition used).

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Used for car for <= $18K; the newer Volvos? (Tnmax21)

Quote, originally posted by Tnmax21 »
There has been no other car besides a Volvo in my household untill my dub. My family sings nothign but praises for them. But note, when something does go wrong, you will pay ALOT! Good luck, and if she has or had a Camry, other than a honda what will come close in reliability?

She has had at least 2 Hondas in the past; one was stolen and the other died out at 119K miles so she has this stubborn notion that they're not as reliable as they ought to be (she expected at least 150K miles).
I mentioned the new Scion tC coupe to her but she's considering only newly used now b/c of the depreciation factor of a new car. I mentioned that she keeps her cars long enough for the first few years' not to matter as much but she was pretty adamant.

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Used for car for <= $18K; the newer Volvos? (Lwize)

Quote, originally posted by Lwize »
I had a 2000 S40 sedan for only 10 months - it was a lemon (due to various electrical problems). I do see a lot of them on the road, though.
And since it has a turbo engine, I wouldn't bother with one that doesn't have a detailed maintenance history.

How are the turbos on the S40?
Thanks!

· Registered
38,186 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mencius01 »
How are the turbos on the S40?
Thanks!

I had no engine problems - it was all electrical (the check engine light would NEVER go off).
But buying a used car with a turbo, there's risk that the previous owner didn't change the oil often enough or follow the warm-up/cool-down rules, possibly leading to expensive headaches in the future. I personally wouldn't buy any used turbo car, but many people do. Depends on how much risk you want to take.

Modified by Lwize at 2:33 PM 1-9-2004

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.