VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my problem. I have an 88 Jetta. its a digi 8v. its got 297,000kms on it.

I HAVE A *&%*&# CHARGING PROBLEM!
The alternator is new.
The battery is new.
The voltage regulator in the alternator is new. all these things are supposedly in working order. Infact i know they are.
My car just loses its charge halfway down the highway time after time again what the heck am i supposed to check next.
would a massive draw cause this? i mean its not charging almost at all, ill step on the gas and rev it up and down and itll get a bit of a charge for a second. almost like my alternator belt is slipping drastically but it isnt i know this for a fact. I also tried connecting that little blue wire, and the big red + wire straight from the alternator to the battery. nothing happens. still the same. where do i go next? i have to drive this car today. its a must. i have no way around it so if i cant drive it im screwed. i really really need help. i have no bently and i tried a chiltons but we all know how crappy chiltons are. what can i do to make my car charge by like hard wiring it or something? is there anything im missing here? ive gone over this thing like a million times...

· Registered
5,645 Posts
Re: USED SEARCH, NO RESULTS, having big problems. (Vdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Vdubs »
Have you checked the grounds?
Test the output of the alternator at the alternator, measure the amps and volts.

..then check your grounds again.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Re: USED SEARCH, NO RESULTS, having big problems. (itchyG60)

A set of replacement charging cables from the battery to the Alt and new terminals for the battery.
Then redo all your chassis grounds coming off the battery with larger gauge wire. Try to get cables that have ends crimped on them already as they will be less likely to corrode.
Then replace your ground wire from the Battery to the Transmission..
If it's still draining I'd take it to a good VW mechanic

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: USED SEARCH, NO RESULTS, having big problems. (eurowner)

haha this is kinda funny but its also stupid. It was the alternator. they gave me a bad one i guess. But they exchanged it without hassle. thanks alot guys

· Registered
511 Posts
I would also have your ignition coil replaced just in case - this will also cause you to suddenly lose power making the car stall irrationally - just something to think about - you may even have an increase in power and performance - a new coil will ensure the amplification of any charge that you may demand upon accelleration

· Registered
26 Posts
Re: (LeatherMK2)

i have been thru it with them before, first with my toy 4x4 they gave me 3 bad ones in a row. i finaly got my money back and went to action, problem solved. then with my 88 jetta i got one from them cause of the price diff from a new bosch. well wouldent you know it
no good either but this one would drain the battery when the car was nor running...lol it took me 20 min to get my money back
. and to top it off i ended up spending the extra money for the new bosch. but moral of the story is dont ever buy an alternator from shucks, no matter what the price diff is

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Hunterjohn01)

well not to brag but i am the king of our neighborhood shucks becuase i spend more money then i could ever dream of up there so they give me a little break every now and then. but still i dont think ill buy alternators there again just everything else. thanks for info. thats makes me think alot harder and thanks to everyone who has helped me even though it turned out to be just some stupid bs.

· Registered
132 Posts
Re: Good parts stores in PNW...

I don't know if they have one up your way yet, but, AutoZone is moving into the Seattle area (one in Burien and one in Federal Way) and I've had good luck with them. Plus, they sell Bosch oil filters!!
Also, Auto Sport on Pac. Hwy. South just south of the SeaTac airport is a SUPER place for parts. They're really knowledgable, too. They're all a bunch of dubbers over there that carry just about anything you could ever need or want. Really great folks.
... God, I miss Seattle

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.