VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
I always wonder this too. We have phones and my kids also have cellular-enabled iPads. In theory the car hotspot would get slightly better reception (we rarely have an issue) and would only work in that car, nowhere else. I think in the end it would just mean an extra device I have to pay for access on, and cost me more in the long wrong. Both of our DDs have the option for the hotspot and I’ve never activated or even tried the free trial on either one.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
It kinda reminds me of the early/mid 1990s and the whole car phone/vs cell phone thing. Car phone was a little cheaper (maybe), and reception was better, but you had to bring your entire car with you instead of just your phone. We all see where that went.

Even tethering tablets to phones or using a puck is a giant PITA versus just having a cellular device. We brought our daughter’s friend on vacation recently, and every time we left the house it was “can I tether to someone’s phone?? What’s the wifi password??” Whereas my kids are just off and running on their little cellular devices. Well worth the extra $15-20 month (2x tablets vs 1x hotspot).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts