VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The car hotspots are usually really slow lte modems. They won't do carrier aggregation. A current flagship phone will annihilate them for pure speed.

I prefer to roll my own with a 5g modem and borrow the IMEI of a phone for completely unlimited data speeds. Plus I can use multiple sim card profiles so I can use any of the 3 big carriers at will.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That is kind of what I was figuring. Especially since there are a number of cars on the roads these days that no longer have service because they used 3G technology right up to 2021 models. If vehicle manufacturers were still using 3G as late as 2021, how would you expect them to have 5G in vehicles produced within the last year?

Its not completely impossible to upgrade or modify them.

you can also pull the modem from the vehicle, clone the IMEI to a hotspot device with better capabilities and then use it anywhere you like with the unlimited connected car plans. at least until you hit the hard throttle caps where deprioritization kicks in. Att doesn't seem to throttle unless its actually congested. Tmobile and Verizon are hard limits that drop you to almost nothing. Then theres visible which is always deprioritized, but no hard caps so if you are able to get decent service its always decent.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Back in the days, car phones had higher transmission power since you're not holding the antenna next to your head. Useful when the cell towers were farther apart in sparse coverage area.
This is still true with some systems. Most cars these days only do bluetooth. If the system you use in your car uses rSAP (remote sim access protocol) then the module can use much higher output powers than a handheld device. rSAP also allows the car to share the data connection. There's very few US cars that use this. VWAG cars can use it, but usually you need to swap modules for a world version instead of a US version. The US sucks for mobiles and connectivity. wonder why? They want to sucker you for product tie ins like the mobile hotspots and other crap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts