VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
42,501 Posts
I think it would make sense if it enabled more features on the infotainment. Like Google maps, and Spotify working independently of your phone data, real time weather, and news alerts etc.
That's exactly how the 5G hotspot in my Audi works.

But Audi also charges $50/month or $500/year for it. Which is insane when I already have a phone plan with unlimited data.

Back in the days, car phones had higher transmission power since you're not holding the antenna next to your head. Useful when the cell towers were farther apart in sparse coverage area.
Audi still does this, it was bundled in with the wireless charger. It's called the "Audi Phonebox" which is a cellular signal booster. You are supposed to register it with your wireless carrier but I never did.

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
42,501 Posts
Cars should be able to connect to the hotspot that your phone provides and use the data through your phone rather than having their own costly service plan and using obsolete connection technology 3 years after leaving the showroom floor.
Yup, as evidenced by VW and Audi customers who have MY 2019 cars that still had 3G hardware that have now been disabled.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts