VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51,428 Posts
Are cars now 5G? Or are they using older 4G technology?

·
Registered
51,428 Posts
The car hotspots are usually really slow lte modems. They won't do carrier aggregation. A current flagship phone will annihilate them for pure speed.

I prefer to roll my own with a 5g modem and borrow the IMEI of a phone for completely unlimited data speeds. Plus I can use multiple sim card profiles so I can use any of the 3 big carriers at will.

That is kind of what I was figuring. Especially since there are a number of cars on the roads these days that no longer have service because they used 3G technology right up to 2021 models. If vehicle manufacturers were still using 3G as late as 2021, how would you expect them to have 5G in vehicles produced within the last year?

·
Registered
51,428 Posts
Its not completely impossible to upgrade or modify them.

you can also pull the modem from the vehicle, clone the IMEI to a hotspot device with better capabilities and then use it anywhere you like with the unlimited connected car plans. at least until you hit the hard throttle caps where deprioritization kicks in. Att doesn't seem to throttle unless its actually congested. Tmobile and Verizon are hard limits that drop you to almost nothing. Then theres visible which is always deprioritized, but no hard caps so if you are able to get decent service its always decent.
Sounds like something that 1 in a million people would do.

·
Registered
51,428 Posts
I think it would make sense if it enabled more features on the infotainment. Like Google maps, and Spotify working independently of your phone data, real time weather, and news alerts etc.

Most systems don't seem to be enabled to take advantage of the extra features that an internet connection allows. That is one of the cool things about Tesla.

If it is solely to run ipads, or laptops I don't really see the draw.

As long as I have my work iphone with me, the hotspot works automatically, or it is one swipe down, and a button press to enable hotspot on my android.

I have a grandfathered in TMobile plan that allows 100GB full speed hotspot, and it is often faster than the wifi wherever I am working.

Cars should be able to connect to the hotspot that your phone provides and use the data through your phone rather than having their own costly service plan and using obsolete connection technology 3 years after leaving the showroom floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts