VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have dreamed it, because I can't seem to find the post any longer.
I thought at one time someone posted a way to use the front parking lights as the DRL instead of the default.
Was I dreaming?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
For DRL, the options are as follows:
Driving beams (reduced power for halogen reflector units, full power for HID projector units,
foglamps (if car is so equipped), and
nothing at all.
I've got mine set as foglamps, but the DRLs are then turned off. That is, if a dealer decides they have to fish around and activate my DRLs during a service, they'll come on as the foglamps. This is possible because there is a bit/byte that allows one to select "replacement foglamps as daytime running lamps" and still allows the complete disabling of DRLs.
What you may have seen about the parking lights may have been a post of mine. I've set up the turn signals to be used as running lights. I have a GLI (has projector housings), so by default the white light in the bottom "bar" of the housing is the running light. I thought it to be too dim, so I included the turn signal as a running light as well. With that set up, I now have a yellow/white bar of light at the bottom of each headlamp. One can also custom-program the intensity of the turn signal as a parking light. I left mine as the default. As a result, activating the turn signal still allows the turn signal to blink far brighter than the brightness of the running light.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
For DRL, the options are as follows:
Driving beams (reduced power for halogen reflector units, full power for HID projector units,
foglamps (if car is so equipped), and
nothing at all.
I've got mine set as foglamps, but the DRLs are then turned off. That is, if a dealer decides they have to fish around and activate my DRLs during a service, they'll come on as the foglamps. This is possible because there is a bit/byte that allows one to select "replacement foglamps as daytime running lamps" and still allows the complete disabling of DRLs.
What you may have seen about the parking lights may have been a post of mine. I've set up the turn signals to be used as running lights. I have a GLI (has projector housings), so by default the white light in the bottom "bar" of the housing is the running light. I thought it to be too dim, so I included the turn signal as a running light as well. With that set up, I now have a yellow/white bar of light at the bottom of each headlamp. One can also custom-program the intensity of the turn signal as a parking light. I left mine as the default. As a result, activating the turn signal still allows the turn signal to blink far brighter than the brightness of the running light.

sweet....
could you do a write up on how you programed it?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Rh3017)

Quote, originally posted by Rh3017 »
sweet....
could you do a write up on how you programed it?

I can. I don't have a Vagcom cable with me right now, but I should have access to one in a couple weeks and plan to do some write-ups.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Let me know when you do and I'll add it to the FAQ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.