VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine in my '87 Cabriolet was a JH. It's now a 2.0L Techtonics stroker engine. But I live in California so every two years it needs to be smog checked and all of the original emissions need to be there and connected. Does anyone have a link to how to properly connect a G 60 valve cover? The way I hooked it up satisfies the smog tech but recently it started blowing out oil down the back side of the engine. I tried to assure that all of my connections are good and added a few hose clamps where the factory hoses had none and replaced the G 60 rubber valve cover gasket but still loosing oil. Don't mind adding the oil but the underside of my Cabby is quite oily and I worry about the exhaust setting it on fire.

·
Registered
1990 Cabriolet, 2004 VW Golf TDI
1,368 Posts
Are we talking about PCV? You could install an oil baffle under the valve cover, if you're not running one already.
Otherwise, I would request a pic so we can be clear on exactly what we're talking about.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are we talking about PCV? You could install an oil baffle under the valve cover, if you're not running one already.
Otherwise, I would request a pic so we can be clear on exactly what we're talking about.
Would have posted a pic but I'm trying to find a photobucket replacement. I'll figure it out and post one.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What valve cover gasket are you using? Are you using the right studs with that gasket?
I'm using the G60 rubber gasket with the integral little metal sleeves. Pretty sure that I replaced the studs with new G60 ones but the sleeves would prevent over tightening. Way back when I purchased Bentleys for every car I might use parts from when I could find them cheap. Followed instructions in the Corrado manual. My issue is the proper hose connections as a G60 valve cover on a JH in a Cabriolet is a hybrid not covered in any of the manuals.

Will take pictures this AM and get them hosted.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I pulled off the strut bar so it would not be in the way but I probably should have shot these more towards noon for less setting sun glare. Also thinking I might look at the oil pan since not too much oil on the back of the engine. You can't see the bottom because of glare but oil cooler seems pretty clean. The car is new to this drive way so the two oil on concrete pictures are recent. In different locations because of how far I pulled in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.