VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GTI 1.8T w/ the 180 hp engine. I know 91 octane is recommended, but I've been using regular gas every other tankful, and can't really feel any sort of difference in the power delivery, knocking, or any of that sort of thing. Can I get away with this, or am I doing damage. My understanding is that the computer in the engine helps adjust it to the gasoline I use. I used to use 87 in my '93 ford taurus sho with no major probelms, although 91 octane was recommended.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (gtismackssvt)

VW dealership mech said use the 91 every third tank..... otherwise use the reg

·
Banned
5,344 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (Milf-Her)

not as clean... not as fun.

my car is clean and fun.

personal choice maybe? .... but i would still use the recom. 91 half the time.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

Dealer says use 87 in traffic, 91-93 when hitting the twisties or the open road to the next state.
I clean my exhaust tips when I wash every week, and I notice that the car seems to have less soot on the tips when running 87, but I get better mpg and more power with 93.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

you probably aren't feeling a difference in power delivery because the weather now is considerably cooler. I wouldn't recommend you run 87 in the summer time as your car will probably retard timing quite a bit and kill power. Actually, I wouldn't recommend that you ever run 87 octane. I mean why the hell go and spend so much money on a new car if you're gonna cheap out over 20 cents/gallon.
Why didn't you just buy a 2.slow if you wanted a car that would run right on 87 octane?
"Splurg" a little, buy the 91!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

You probably won't notice any knocking but you will be running with lower horsepower, probably losing 10-15 rwhp.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (Onearmedmidget)

My friend tells me to use higher octane in the summer...why is that?

·
Registered
613 Posts

You would have to be retarded to run 87 octane. Not you, your timing. It's a JOKE. anyway, I ran 87 in my first few tanks in my then stock AWW. When I realized what I was doing (dumbo didn't read the spec) I noticed smoother and more power and an incrase in gas mileage. The mileage went up like 3-4 mpg, enough to make 93 octane cheaper per mile! Try comparing mileage. I think 87 retards the timing so much that you need more throttle to the same thing as 93 with advanced timing. Keep in mind that our engines run very high compression ratios for a turbo'd car.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (20v_boost)

If you're planning on keeping your car (financing it or bought it out), then take good care of it. Use 93 if you can, if not available, then nothing under 91. Otherwise, you know ntot what you do.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (Spiro D)

your not suppose to change around, leave it at 91 its not about preformance its only like a horspower your doing it for you car! 91 or higher!

[Modified by gti 1.8t0dd, 11:04 PM 11-28-2002]

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (20v_boost)

quote:[HR][/HR]Keep in mind that our engines run very high compression ratios for a turbo'd car.[HR][/HR]​
Very good point.
Nessal: the reason your friend is recommending you use higher octane in the summer is because your car runs hotter in the summer. Higher temps make your car more susceptible to knocking and/or pinging. Higher octane fuel resists knocking and pinging better than lower octane fuels.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (20VT*J4)

Gosh, sorry for being such a damn noobie but does pinging and knocking mean the sound that you hear from your engine after you turn the engine off. Its like, you hear a low ding ding sound coming from the engine after you turn the engine off...

·
Banned
1,665 Posts

I have never even seen 91 octane. 87,89,93,94,100 where the hell do they sell 91? Anywhere on the east coast?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (CruisVW)

i think just about everywhere i have seen around here sells 87, 89, then 93
or 87,89,then 91

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: Using regular 87 octane gas (Nessal)

quote:[HR][/HR]Gosh, sorry for being such a damn noobie but does pinging and knocking mean the sound that you hear from your engine after you turn the engine off. Its like, you hear a low ding ding sound coming from the engine after you turn the engine off...[HR][/HR]​
No, pinging/knocking is a "pinging" sound from the engine while you're accelerating. It is the air/fuel mixture in the cylinders blowing up before it's supposed to. This puts extreme stress on the pistons and rods in the engine and is a BAD thing. Our cars are equipped with sensors to detect and prevent this, so the main problem with running 87 or 89 octane is a loss of power. Most likely it is in the 10-15hp range, judging by dyno tests I've seen in a few magazines.
Alrighty....here's my tip for the day. If you're starting out a post with "one of my buddies said" or "I heard from a friend" or "my dealer said that", it's probably incorrect!!!! I can't say how many incorrect things I've seen that have started out with one of those quotes. Look, we don't trust our dealers for anything else, why would we trust them to give us the right information about taking care of our cars? And most likely, this friend you're listening to has no idea about VW's.
Run 91 or higher octane. I've been running 93 since I got the car (no 91 available here, I think it's a California thing) and I've NEVER had a problem with it. It may cost a little more, but you'll get better gas mileage and more power. If you're ponying up the money to buy the 1.8t, put good gas in it. Otherwise get yourself a 2.0 and run 87 octane.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts