VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Re: USRT MegaPump setup? (Gtibunny20v)

Scott I would be curious of the amount of amps those are going to pull. Looks like a fairly good idea. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I think a well thought out surge tank would be a better solution.

·
Banned
933 Posts
Re: (2LMONSTER)

Aluminum doesnt "rust" it corrodes and it needs oxygen to do so. Most of the time the thing is covered in gas or in present of gas fumes. I dont think there will be any problems since the pump is made of metal and that doesnt corrode.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (need_a_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »
Sorry still not enough fuel. Let me know when you make one with four.

Ha, you guys are too funny.
Actually, the strategy goes like this... Supply just one pump for those who are looking for 450whp or less. It would fix the dreaded fuel slosh problem which has plagued intank pump solutions to date. Those who are looking for more power than that could add the second pump.

Zornig raises a great point about the benefits of a surge tank, however. The size of the fuel lines themselves becomes the bottleneck after a certain flow limit. After that point adding pumps will create pressure in the lines but with no improvement in flow.
We're still weighing the options, but keep the comments flowing, please. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Re: (Scott F. Williams)

Quote, originally posted by Scott F. Williams »
Zornig raises a great point about the benefits of a surge tank, however. The size of the fuel lines themselves becomes the bottleneck after a certain flow limit. After that point adding pumps will create pressure in the lines but with no improvement in flow.
We're still weighing the options, but keep the comments flowing, please. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

You can get a metric to AN fitting that will bolt right up to your fuel pump, then run either a -6 or -8 line to the fuel rail.
simple, easy and will support more hp than any vw out here can handle, i'm running a surge tank to 2 bosch fuel pumps that go straight to 2 -8 lines merging into a -8 "Y" then -8 line all the way up to the fuel rail.
No problems here
hope this helps
Paul

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Re: (Scott F. Williams)

Quote, originally posted by Scott F. Williams »

Forgot to add that if you're going to use stock fuel lines then they'll be a bottleneck with either the surge tank or the two pumps in the tank going into one line.

Paul

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (BoostFactory)

Quote, originally posted by BoostFactory »

Forgot to add that if you're going to use stock fuel lines then they'll be a bottleneck with either the surge tank or the two pumps in the tank going into one line.

Paul

You are correct, wise one. Remember, though, that the point of a surge tank in the first place is to provide a back up fuel supply in case the primary drys up. So, placing a tank in engine bay *can* allow for the stock lines to support ridiculous hp. So long as the engine doesn't suck the surge tank dry the fuel lines can be totally empty.
We'd just have to calculate how much fuel would be consumed in say... 10 seconds and then produce a tank that holds enough fuel to supply that amount. Of course that resevoir would actually be replenished by the existing fuel system, so some calculus would be helpful to really determine the ideal size. ANyway... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Re: USRT MegaPump setup? (Scott F. Williams)

Scott this looks like a very nice piece. Once concern I would have being that it is a drop in replacement with feed on the bottom of the tank, is low fuel level during cornering. This shouldn't be a problem if maintaining 1/4+ a tank of fuel. The factory pump setup has approx a 500cc reservoir around the pump and is a dual stage pump. It feeds from the bottom of the tank like your proposed setup does, but when the lower feed is uncovered during lower fuel levels/cornering, the factory pump feeds from inside the reservoir. If you can address that, I definitely think you have something going. Not that your design is a bad one by any means, but does it address low fuel levels in the tank during cornering?
A surge tank works great on our 16v setup, and is fed by a factory digi pump using 5/16" feed lines, then -10AN to an inline SX pump. Going on 8000miles of daily driving with no issues yet. Similar to the pics already posted

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: (need_a_VR6)

Interesting sch!t Scott http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif , but what about the guys runnning a fuel cell? I have a fuel cell with a somewhat built in surge tank. I would like to run remote surge tank under the car but with no intank pump; will this be possible?
The plan is to run a -6 line from the fuel cell to a surge tank then to a single walbro 255 lph walbro pump then to filter then to the fuel rail.
Will this be able to handle over 350WHP? Or will I have problems with fuel starvation?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.