VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (Subtle)

Well considering I have driven just about every form of stock and modified vr6 imaginable. I feel my opinion is pretty much good.
The power was there, but it wasnt the power I was expecting. I dont know. Maybe my 12v is one of the freak motors.
The 24v did feel more refined as where my 12v felt..... more raw.
I just want impressed at all.
The first time I test drove a mkiv vr6, i had nothing but smiles on my face. Taking this baby out for a spin was fairly boring and I drove her for about 10 miles in multiple situations.
She definatly pulled harder on the top end then my 12v but thats to be expected. Overall I wasnt impressed at all.
Sorry.

· Registered
5,370 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (Justin-VT)

i love my 24v the thing u 12vers dont have is a 6th gear. in the 24v u have gears that meet your everyday need and in a 12v u dont have the right gears for your needs

23,696 Posts

you can't directly compare the two due to the gearbox differences.
I felt the same way driving a 24v
Gearing will affect torque, as well as after driving a car for years you get used to being at a certain speed when you shift at a certain rpm, the additional gear and different ratios muck the comparison up.
(its also a brand new car)

Modified by rs4-380 at 1:13 AM 1-13-2004

· Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (hiatussk8rs)

I disagree. The 12v in my opinion doesnt need a 6 gear. 5 gears are fine and to be quite honest, I see no need for the 6th gear in the 24v.
Dont get me wrong. I love and will always the vr6 motor. Its just that I was very dissapointed.
Oh well, I'm first on the list at my dealership for the r32 which is in port right now. If I like that, I might cancel my order for the G and get the r32 though I highly doubt it.

· Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (rs4-380)

i dunno.... ive driven everything from turbo to supercharged VR6 to chipped and unchipped 1.8T, and my 12v vr6 every day, and i must say that i was pretty impressed with the 24v's torque curve and hp delivery. it was a lot of fun, and with modifications it would be even more fun. eh. difference in opinion.

· Registered
357 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (T0oDamnFast)

Just compare the dyno of a stock 12v to a stock 24v - my guess is that the 24v won't show much gain until after about 3,500 rpms.
If your 12v has a chip then it probably feels stronger than the 24v until you start getting the revs up there.

· Banned
4,741 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Justin-VT »
I test drove one today. Nothing special.
My gti felt like it had more low end torque and the high end power wasnt that big of a difference. I dont see what all the raving is about.
Thoughts?

This engine needs to be broken in...it feels suffocated when new. My current 24v would completely dust my 98 VR6 GTI...ESPECIALLY on the freeway...absolutely no contest.

Modified by Integrale at 12:03 AM 1-13-2004

· Registered
8,273 Posts

You need a 6th gear to bring down the RPM's when driving on a highway above 80 mph. 5th gear giives you about 3500-4000 RPM! This is tooo much for highway! It also burns lots of gas. I have 2000 Jetta GL, 2.0. It gives me ONLY 32 mph on highway couse of the 5th gear! Usually I get 36 on city!
I used to have a V6 Cavalier Z24! This thing was a beast on the road! 80 MPH means mere 2500 RPMs. I had the going 115mph at 4200 RPMs with 3 people and full trunk! It blew up on 225K miles, 3 years later! No engine work prior to that! Too bad they don't make them anymore!
So don't tell me you don't need 6th gear!
OH, and by the way,
being a european, I can asure you that in Europe very few people drive 5-speeds. It is all 6-speed now!
Peace!

· Registered
957 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (AWAKE)

Quote, originally posted by AWAKE »
24v is simply the best motor avaliable in gti or jetta.....id swap mine in a second......any takers?

NO way, go turbo or go home
Good luck gettin any more power out of a VR6 without spending $4,000 on a SC. I had one and it pissed me off that the VR6 doesnt have that many parts to bolt on that do anything worth have a sh!t. But thats just my $.02

· Registered
121 Posts

I test drove the 6 speed vr6. and I have to say the 6 speed makes a huge difference. When you shift at 6300, rpms drop to like 5100 in the next gear , and it stays right in the peak power, and it flies back up and your smiling like a m0fo as your flying through the gears....
Mad props to the 6-speed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,433 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (Timboliya)

Quote, originally posted by Timboliya »
When you shift at 6300, rpms drop to like 5100 in the next gear , and it stays right in the peak power, and it flies back up and your smiling like a m0fo as your flying through the gears....
Mad props to the 6-speed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

My exact thoughts!!!

· Registered
1,677 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (darb215)

there are dyno's out there and they clearly show that up until 4500rpm there is virtually no difference in power between the two. only from 5000rpm is there a real difference peaking at about 20hp. Unless you REALLY test drive one or havent modified your 12V much you probably wont be overly impressed at shear speed. Even going by the published numbers (minus C&D's wacky 7.7/16.1 99.5 VR numbers) there isn't a "blown out the water" difference. Until more hardcore parts come out for the 24V I wouldn't worry about it if I already have a 12V

· Registered
538 Posts
Re: Utter Dissapointment. 2004 GTI VR6 24v. (02GTI-VR6)

Thats interesting, Iv heard that the 24v feels like a 12v with bigger cams on it. I wonder how a 24v would compare to a non stock 12v with Upsolute, CAI, and tt 2.5

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.