VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this car and the engine and trans seem to be a good match. I drove from NJ to Va. Beach mostly on cruise 55-60, filled the tank when I got there even though I had more than 1/2 tank left after driving 341 miles. Did the math and got a little over 40MPG. Tell me that isn't fantastic for a gas engine! These are not fantasy numbers, they are real and I have experienced it first hand and I'm pleasantly surprised that it could be this good.

I have been reading about this engine and and that Audi's 1.8 Gen III EA888 and V.W.'s TSI Gen III 2.0. I've heard mixed opinion's whether the 1.8 EA888 that my Passat has both port injection as well as direct injection as the other two have. A primary benefit as I understand it is a substantial reduction build of carbon build up as a result of the port injection while at idle and low loads being the active injectors keeping the valves awash in fuel essentially keeping them clean, and the direct kicking in at all other times.

Does anyone here know with certainty if V.W.'s new 1.8 EA888T is direct only, or port and direct? If direct only, is there any reference to this by V.W. or any authoritative automotive resource?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answer is direct only, not port and injection for anyone that had an interest. European version is different and MKVII 2.0's will have both port while at idle and light loads, then switching to direct. better fuel economy and less carbon build up. Oh well. I still got over 40mpg while is amazing in itself.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Answer is direct only, not port and injection for anyone that had an interest. European version is different and MKVII 2.0's will have both port while at idle and light loads, then switching to direct. better fuel economy and less carbon build up. Oh well. I still got over 40mpg while is amazing in itself.
yup no port which is bummer for the carbon build up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Correct. MKVI jetta gen3 2.0T and 1.8T us spec will only see GDI. European spec received dual injection. European versions also received valve lift on the exhaust cam if I'm not mistaken. And as mentioned the MKVII GTI will get dual injection and valve lift.

Btw totally agree with the mpg statement. :) these are impressive engines. My best calculated has been 38.5 mpg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts