VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the V10 TDI even going to come to out shores?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Are they going to ship even smaller engines to us Yankies?
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Why would they? It would be VERY Slow!
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
What is the offical 0-60 mph time on the V6 Touareg?

Thanx

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (hartmaw)

The V10 is coming early next year. There will be no smaller engines than the 3.2 VR6 currently in use.

·
Registered
48,217 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (hartmaw)

More than a sixteen year old can afford.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (BMCGC4S)

3.0 TDi has a shot at making it here, but maybe until the diesel fuel cleans up (low sulfur diesel) in 2006. (2005?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
It's disappointing that the Touareg TDI is going to be that expensive brute. If it were going to be rated to tow more than the 7700-lbs that the V6 is already rated for, I'd consider it. A V-10 TDI that tows over 10,000-lbs and is capable of nearly 30-mpg would be KILLER!
However, I just can't justify the extra $15-20k just for a V-10 that's faster but tows the same as a V6, even if it DOES get better mileage. I can't see it paying off unless the V10 is VERY low-maintenance.
Does anyone know if the V10 will have a timing BELT or a timing CHAIN? It can't be cheap to do that job every 80k.
Take Care,

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think if they really want to generate a TDI/Diesel market for the Touareg, a $60K price tag is too much. Most people will simply buy the V8 instead, considering that the base V8 is 20K less, you woul have to drive a lot of miles(im too lazy to calculate it right now) till it gets to a point where the TDI is cheaper. The TDI is selling for about 68K euros, or $78K , which would tranlslate to about 18 K reduction in price for the NA market if we are using the 60K, which would be similiar to the price the touareg V6 costs less. Since they probably wont be able to go any cheaper, they will only get limited sales for the V10 TDI, which is why I think a smaller TDI, the V6 which has been mentioned here before would be a beter option.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (Stealth TDI Again)

No timing belt, no timing chain. The V10 TDI uses a geartrain for this purpose.

Quote, originally posted by Stealth TDI Again »
Does anyone know if the V10 will have a timing BELT or a timing CHAIN? It can't be cheap to do that job every 80k.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: (wobisobi)

if the price is close to 51, it might be a really good alternative, I think i read/heard somewhere that the V10 has Air suspension standard, but I have no idea where I got that info from.

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI
1,857 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (S4inSoFla)

Quote, originally posted by S4inSoFla »
The V10 is coming early next year. There will be no smaller engines than the 3.2 VR6 currently in use.

Unless you're in one of the few states (California included) that will NOT be getting the TDI V10 initially for emissions reasons; we WILL however, get it when the low-sulfer diesel arrives in 2006('07?) You can purchase one in Nevada and bring it here though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (corradokidg60)

If you purchase a non 50 state vehicle and import it to CA you may get in trouble.
I am sure the first thing they would do when you take it for registration is to check the EPA sticker. If it does not stipulate that it can be sold to CA you may have a problem. Anyways I would highly advice reading up on the CA DMV law in regards of importing out of state vehicles into CA(new vehicles that is).
cheers
Nick

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: V10 TDI (Stealth TDI Again)

Quote, originally posted by Stealth TDI Again »
Hi,
It's disappointing that the Touareg TDI is going to be that expensive brute. If it were going to be rated to tow more than the 7700-lbs that the V6 is already rated for, I'd consider it. A V-10 TDI that tows over 10,000-lbs and is capable of nearly 30-mpg would be KILLER!
However, I just can't justify the extra $15-20k just for a V-10 that's faster but tows the same as a V6, even if it DOES get better mileage. I can't see it paying off unless the V10 is VERY low-maintenance.
Take Care,
Just how much towing do you need anyway? the towing rating is based on the chassis structure not the engine, thats why they all have the same rating...considering that not many other trucks/SUVs can match let alone beat that rating is pretty impressive... and I expect the price isn't just for the engine...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree. Rating, schmating. Try putting 7700 lbs behind that V6. You may not yank the axle out from under the truck, but you ain't going up any hills, either.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: (touareger)

Quote, originally posted by touareger »
I agree. Rating, schmating. Try putting 7700 lbs behind that V6. You may not yank the axle out from under the truck, but you ain't going up any hills, either.
that's a VR6 ...
the Touaregs a little (alot) portly, but I'm sure the V6 can handle it...(you are rght though don't expect brisk acceleration)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: (gizmopop)

If the V10TDi is not California legal, you won't be able to register used ones without 6000 miles. My recollection of the rule, someone may know better.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts