VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this amazing vehicle about 2 montha ago. Came with plenty of bells and whistles incl Xenons, air suspension, distance park control which can thank goodness be switched off) cental and rear diff-locks, full size spare wheel carrier and probably stuff I haven't yet discovered. All in all a great package. After about 2000kms we went on fishing trip with trailer plus 3 pax. Our lodge is about 1500kms from home and at about 7000ft above SL. What a treat it was to be able to crawl up the rock strewn track in auto (The Landcruiser was manual.) plenty of mud and the result of a huge cold front that had moved in. Sadly this also affected the fishing -they just went down and sulked most of the time,trout do this!
But the revelation was the way this very sophisticated lady just went about went about her business without breaking sweat or wind.
Once on the highway 10 liters per 100kms was the average at an average speed of about 120 kms /hr. I arrived at each destination (over 1000 kms without long stops on the first day) very relaxed and unstressed.
I considered the V10 TDI but considered the lump to be too big and somewhat of an overkill for my purpose.
Now with 8000 kms on the clock I've just had oil and filters changed. This is a habit with new cars to rid of any crap that might have been around at assembly.
Probably unneccessary with modern builds - but still!
I'll report both the good and bad times and look for help and advice when needed.
Looking forward to a long and pleasant time with both this forum and the Offroad Gray Lady.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Re: V6 TDI 3 L (TrevorT)

Welcome to the forum!
I don't know much about the V6TDI as it is not offered here in the states, it sounds like a great engine. By my calculation your fuel economy is similar to the V10 which is the only diesel currently available in the US.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Re: V6 TDI 3 L (v10tdiguy)

Welcome... post pix please.
I had the pleasure of spending two weeks last year with a V6TDI... it is a fantanstic engine!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Re: V6 TDI 3 L (TREGinginCO)

Seconded! I only got to drive it 20 miles or so, but the driving was, shall we say, SPIRITED! It was a pleasure to drive.
Congrats on the new oil burner!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Re: V6 TDI 3 L (aircooled)

Welkom hier Trevor.

Seeing that I live 10 km from you in God's Country let me say again - a big welcome and hope you have meny great miles on your Egg (ja dis wat die klomp fokkers ons T-Reg's noem)

Anyway I am off into the desert for 4 days but we will chat - I drove my V6tdi for 5 weeks and nearly 12k 's - every mile a massive pleasure.
Last but not least - welcome BUT :

Ons praat weer - ek is terug in Somerset Wes - einde November
Cheers
Kasi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll dig out the Sony camera and shoot some pics. Wat is die ander twee taale?
I've had the spare wheel carrier resprayed the same color as the rest of the Egg - off road grey. I think less blinglike. IMHO of course.
Why is this model not imported by VW USA?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: (TrevorT)

Good Question! It is a great question for the US Govt. Every diesel auto I have rented in Spain while visiting family was a blast to drive (Seat Toledo 1.9T, and a friend's 2004 V10TDI). I orignially wanted a V6TDI but I am happy to have a 3.6L engine.
BTW, I took my first trip out of Houston, TX towards College Station (home of the Texas A&M Aggies, 90 miles NW) and back last week to give a talk. I really had a hard time keeping the 2007 V6 under 75 mph. I let my 60GB video iPod crank on the DVD Nav system. The Nav system was fun to use too giving me an estimated time of arrival and changing as my speed increased or decreased. I only have 1,500 miles on our Touareg and it is 2 months old. I was too busy prepping the 99.5 Audi A4 1.8T for its eventual home in So. Cal. My Dad flew out to H-town and drove it back to Ventura, CA (1,700 mi). He loves it and he really could not believe all the bells and whistles on the 2007 Treg.
http://web.mac.com/ddam13/iWeb....html

Modified by Dandog32 at 4:04 AM 11-2-2006

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: V6 TDI 3 L (Gunship)

Quote, originally posted by Gunship »
ja dis wat die klomp fokkers ons T-Reg's noem)

Klomp Fokkers? Noemen ze de Amerikanen zo in Zuid Afrika?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (TrevorT)

Posting a file of pics seems VERY tricky. So for now I'll wait until I can figure out the process. Any help would be gratefully received! Posting on sites like Rennlist is a breeze. TT

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: V6 TDI 3 L (Gunship)

Quote, originally posted by Gunship »
Relax Jonee ou bal - ek dink jy het die smiley gemis ou beesblaas.

Gesondheid ..

Geen probleem, ik ben een Belg, geen Amerikaan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts