VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To continue the controversy: what, if any, impact do temperature and humidity have on the performance of the 1.8T? I seem to recall that high heat and humidity can negatively impact the 1.8T. Or is that just drain from the air conditioning (which would presumably be irrelevant in a side by side comparison)?
If weather is an issue, then one's conclusions could vary based on conditions at the time of the test drive.
I love my veesix with stick, though I was pleased by my test drive of the 1.8T with stick back in the days when that represented 150 horses. Even versus the Accord EX V6, the 1.8T left me grinning because it had a soul. The Accord merely appealed to my pocketbook.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (veesix)

Nothing to do with weather but......
I find that the more I drive my 1.8T stick, the better it performs. It took a while to get used to the turbo, but now I have no problems getting it to pull hard from a stop and generally love the engine. I'm pleased I didn't pay extra for the V6.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (jeffp25)

I love my 1.8t stick. It is a learning curve in terms of learning how to max the engine potential with shifts etc. But once you learn it you realize you made the right choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts

i do remember reading that the high humidity will attribute to a slight loss in power. Remeber that the 1.8T is based on pushing alot of air into the engine, if the air is "Heavy" then you won't get the same combustion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (kpu1168)

Hmm that may explain a few things. The wagon is parked in the garage overnight but outside temp can be lower - especially in the morning. My garage temp will read about 45 deg but as I start driving outside the temp goes down to about 36 deg or so (snowflake comes on). Now I have noticed that the mpg starts in the teens and then slowly creeps up as the engine warms up while driving. I have been meaning to ask my VW service guy about it but this helps explain it.
Unless somebody else has a different answer.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Turbos love cold air and low humidity, so heat and high humidity will definitely sap some power out of the car. In the NYC area, my car is noticeably faster in the winter. Keep in mind the V6 will be effected by humidity too, but probably not as much.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (av_audi)

My 1.8T definitely feels quicker in the winter. In the summer I have to stomp on the pedal to get around slower traffic. It really seems like I only have to use part throttle now that temps are in the 30s and 40s.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (PhilHVW)

I can DEFINATELY vouch for the significant weather effect with the 1.8T. I have a Garret chipped 1.8T in Austin TX, and I sure know when it's cold out side that I will be grinning when I finish my commute. My car is VERY noticeably faster when the temps drop below say 50 then when the outside temp is above 100. A/C is part of the affect, but even with the windows open and A/C off, you can really tell the difference.
I have 17x8 wheels that I could sit and spin all day when it hits 30

Gotta love those winter months - all two of them

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (absurdone)

Haven't had enough data to test whether my experience with my Tip is true or not. Bought in August, have driven in temps ranging from 30-100, but the engine's still breaking in (5400mi), so no good data. Though is has been warmer again in town and the engine's still doing great, so most of the changes I attribute to engine break-in. Have to wait until summer to see if I lose power.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: V6 vs 1.8T: impact of weather (absurdone)

I'm right with you...here in Hawaii the humidty is above 80% on an average day. With of course the every day sticky and sometimes breezy 85+ degree weather year round. I can definately attest to the power loss with my manual 1.8T. I'm also speaking from an objective point of view....I've driven my cousin's 1.8T in Seattle in the winter and there is definately a difference in power and engine response...not too drastic, but I notice it. The cause of the problem is just though..the turbo wants more air..the more and the cooler, the better. That's why almost all serious turbo tuners out here have FMIC's...look into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.