VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Passat with a V6 with 80K on it. Recently I have been getting intermittent stalling at start up, only when the engine is warm(but once on a really hot day). The car will rev slightly and stall. After several attempts, it will start, and then it runs fine. VW service said no error codes and didn't offer much more.
Any help is appreciated.

Modified by FPF at 4:51 PM 4-26-2010

·
33,221 Posts
Re: V6 warmstall at start up (FPF)

warm start issues are usually fuel realted...this being and FSI motor, I would question the cam lobe on the fuel pump....but I would guess that the fuel pressure sensor would show a code (soft or hard) if this was an issue......
not sure what else I can provide to help you.

·
33,221 Posts
Re: V6 warmstall at start up (Boosted2003!)

Quote, originally posted by Boosted2003! »
Not likely the cam lob sense the VR6 does not have same issues as 2.0t with the fuel pump cam lob...

says who??? I've had a cam replaced in my VR for this same reason....at least that's what the dealer said. although in my car it did throw a CEL for low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks to all. Here's a little more info....
If I start up immediately after I turn the car off (when warm), it will start. The problem occurs if I start after 10-15 minutes rest. If I wait a 1/2 hour or so, it will start normally again. Fuel pressure leak? Fuel pump? Vapor lock?

Modified by FPF at 3:05 PM 4-28-2010

·
33,221 Posts

hard to say...but for your edification:
the 3.6L FSI motor in our cars runs 1,500psi via a HP mechanical pump...so it's doubtful that you are seeing vapor lock, or fuel pressure leak as there is no accumulator that I know of.
I did have a similar complaint with my car, and in the end the dealer ended up replace the steering module, as they said some of the early cars had modules that would lose communication with the ECU, but NOT throw a CEL.
scan the ECU and see what if anything is there......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: V6 warmstall at start up (.LSinLV.)

Thanks LSinLV, I appreciate your thoughts. If you could explain.... What does the steering module have to do with the ECU? Seems like a strange combo.
I am trying to diagnose this problem as best as possible before I go back to the dealer. I am concerned about going to the dealer again, as they told me "no error codes" the first time I went.
Intermittent problems are the worst.

·
33,221 Posts

I'm not sure of the exact reason, but for some reason the steering module not communicating with the ECU can cause delayed starts.
the steering module is part of the electronic steering on our cars. contact a local VDubbber in you regional forums to see if any will use VAGCOM to scan your car for free or a

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts

My v6 did start then stall right after and it happened infrequently. No codes. Didn't know if it would start or start and stall. I put a charger on the trunk battery and overnight the charger showed it wasn't taking a charge. I replaced the battery and it stalled again as soon as I tried to start it. but ever since then it works perfectly. I also changed out the Fob battery and placed a gas treatment bottle in the tank in case of water in the gas. I think it was the weak battery causing poor communication between the key and column. Mine has 51K when it started to happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.