VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-> [bump] V8 Engine "Clicking" when flooring it from a stop?

got about 1250 miles on my V8, and I've noticed, when gunning it from a stop (or relatively slow speed) the thing flies, but there's a noticeable rapid-fire "clicking" coming from the front right side near the engine..
Anyone know what this is? Uri thought this might be some kind of sensor, etc, but is there anything documented?
Beginning to worry me. Any clicking sound in a psuedo high-performance, relatively costly vehicle is cause for concern.
But it only does it when pedal-to-the-carpet.
Thanks for your input. Has been a while!
FKI

Modified by FKI at 2:39 PM 3-22-2005

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: V8 Engine "Clicking" when flooring it from a stop? (FKI)

Are you using Premium fuel? Sorry if that's an insulting question, but lower octane fuels can cause detonation in engines under load, like when floored.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Re: V8 Engine "Clicking" when flooring it from a stop? (Moneypenny)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't VW require Premium fuel in the V8?

·
Registered
464 Posts

My only guess would be the stepper motor/ center diff. locking up to give traction to the rear axle under max. acceleration condition.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I have gotten the rapid clicking noise from day one, but i am almost 100%certain it is coming from exhaust from rear. Took to dealer once but could not duplicate noise well enough for them to confirm it was not fricking normal. Even though they couldn't hear noise very well they thought it sounded might be an imperfection like a weld or somehting inside exhaust system that was causing air deflection resulting in clicking noise. I have since learned that problem is most evident when motor and exhaust system are cold. When car is cold only need to get up to about 4,000 rpms and rapid clicking is very, very noticeable to point it drowns out all other normal exhaust noise. Clicking lasts as long as motor/exhaust stay under load. Now plan to go back to dealer, shut car down for about an hour and have them listen. Not sure if you have same problem but I will let you know if I get a fix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: (bingo7274)

I get the same thing. Clicking sound coming from underneath car, soundsl ike it's coming from the transmission/transfer case. Happens when I slam on the gas when I go through shift points. But, goes away quickly as soon as car gets warmed up. The fact that it goes away within a couple minutes of being warm doesn't bother me all that much. Glad to hear my car is not unique in the fashion.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Is there a heat shield on the catalytic converter or other part of the exhaust?
Perhaps it's rattling around under high acceleration until it gets warm?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: (leebo)

Good idea, so I raised car to max height and slid underneath to look around. Heat shields everywhere. Nothing obviously loose. Had friend rev motor and I listened near catalytic converter. No clicking noise. Went to rear of vehicle and could definitley hear clicking noise coming out tail pipes. checked entire exhaust system and found nothing loose. Made dealer appt., go in next Tuesday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (staylor)

Seems as if I'm not the only one. Is this an issue with the later models?
Let us know what they find out.. taking mine to service is a royal PITA!!
Thanks!
FKI

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm also hearing this noise when flooring it from a stop. To me it sounds like it is coming from the muffler. I haven't had it to the dealer to look at it yet. The quality of gas hasn't made a difference with the problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: V8 Engine "Clicking" when flooring it from a stop? (staylor)

Quote, originally posted by staylor »
I have gotten the rapid clicking noise from day one, but i am almost 100%certain it is coming from exhaust from rear. Took to dealer once but could not duplicate noise well enough for them to confirm it was not fricking normal. Even though they couldn't hear noise very well they thought it sounded might be an imperfection like a weld or somehting inside exhaust system that was causing air deflection resulting in clicking noise. I have since learned that problem is most evident when motor and exhaust system are cold. When car is cold only need to get up to about 4,000 rpms and rapid clicking is very, very noticeable to point it drowns out all other normal exhaust noise. Clicking lasts as long as motor/exhaust stay under load. Now plan to go back to dealer, shut car down for about an hour and have them listen. Not sure if you have same problem but I will let you know if I get a fix.

Mine has a build date of late Jan. 04. Took to dealer today and let cool down for an hour. Tech and service mgr. both observed clicking noise. We then tested a new V-8 and got same noise. So we tested a second new V-8 and same noise again. Both tech and service mgr. agreed noise did not seem right. Since the problem appears to be inherent, nothing they can do to fix at this point. So, they are going to refer problem to area rep. and will follow-up with me. For those of you interested, I will post more as I find out.

·
Registered
362 Posts

I've been trying to see if I get any clicking noise in my V8. The only thing I hear click is the gas guage needle as it drops to E

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: (socaltouareg)

definitely much more prominent when exhaust system is cold. take it to your dealer. vw needs to be made aware of problem. Mine was built late Jan. 04. What's build date on yours? It seems that this is a problem with later models.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Just got my V8 from check at dealer. Exhaust "clicking" at over ~ 4000rpm or at full throttle is now the "Norm" Told by VW tech that since about Dec build dates, there is one less muffler in system so we have "Sport " exhaust. If you look under the truck, I have the main muffler at the back then 2 (one on each side) cylindical catalytic converters forward of front seat.
A Nov built vehicle has one large catalytic joining both sides. Possibly this newer system has less restriction therefor more actual firing noise coming thru.
Mine is a Feb build

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: V8 Engine "Clicking" when flooring it from a stop? (dentmac)

Hmmm. Maybe catalytic converters are the culprit. Mine is same set-up, built late Jan. 04. Noise is totally not acceptable. Can they explain why noise is much more prominent when exhuast system is cold?
Seems to me that VW has engaged in a bait and switch scheme. I test drove and put down payment on vehicle in October and they sent me something different in a bad way.

I will wait and see if my area rep. comes up with same answer. Regardless, I feel compelled to continue pressing on this issue, as the clicking noise fricken annoys the livin sh...ttt out of me. Makes my car sound like a schwinn stingray with playing cards clothe pinned to the spokes. Last time I was impressed with that sound, I think I was seven. What is VW thinking

It aint right.

·
Registered
47,401 Posts

Take a look at this PDF file. You are right about there being two different intermediate exhaust systems for the V8. I want my sport exhaust! LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: V8 Engine "Clicking" when flooring it from a stop? (staylor)

Cardboard in the spokes ! That's how I explained it to the dealer. Sounded good at age 10.
I can handle the sound as long as it doesn't get worse. ie like a loose baffle in the muffler.
My biggest annoyance in the
"Bait and switch " is not getting keyless access or the security systems (motion and anti tow) as discribed in the manual. The manual and the demo car were the sales tools that I selected the options from.

·
Registered
47,401 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dentmac »
Cardboard in the spokes ! That's how I explained it to the dealer. Sounded good at age 10.
I can handle the sound as long as it doesn't get worse. ie like a loose baffle in the muffler.
My biggest annoyance in the
"Bait and switch " is not getting keyless access or the security systems (motion and anti tow) as discribed in the manual. The manual and the demo car were the sales tools that I selected the options from.

Dealer had a demo car with keyless start and anti-tow??? That would be bait and switch.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts