VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received several questions lately about using Ross-Tech VAG-COM hardware (our diagnostic Interfaces) with the APR V-Tune and GIAC Mobile Tuner (listed in alphabetical order
).
Ross-Tech hasn't seen or used either of these products and we have not been asked by either chiptuner for our hardware specs, USB driver information, etc. So, if you want to use Ross-Tech hardware with other kinds of software, feel free to. But it is the responsibility of the chiptuners to determine if their stuff is compatible with ours.

· Registered
4,603 Posts
Re: VAG-COM Hardware and Chiptuners' Software (rreimund)

the Hex Com cable is great! I just used it with the latest release the other day and it updated the Hex Com

· Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: VAG-COM Hardware and Chiptuners' Software ([email protected])

As an addendum, some people have asked about using VAG-COM software with hardware other than the Interfaces that we provide. We only guarantee that VAG-COM will work with our own hardware. Using any other hardware falls under these terms:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#OtherAdp

· Registered
6,776 Posts

Has Ross-Tech done any testing to see if values are returned the same after different chiptuning code is on a chip?
For instance:
Before chip:
Block A returns
After chip Block A still returns:
I don't know if this would be an issue or not because I do not know what goes on behind the scenes but the thought just crossed my mind.
Does it make sense what I am asking?

· Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: VAG-COM Hardware and Chiptuners' Software (judoGTI)

Sure, you can do stock and chipped logging to see the effects of changes in boost, injector pulse widths, ignition timing, etc. Is that what you're asking?

· Registered
6,776 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Sure, you can do stock and chipped logging to see the effects of changes in boost, injector pulse widths, ignition timing, etc. Is that what you're asking?

No, I meant that their code doesn't change the readings from the sensors in any manner (not the ones expected to change)
For instance in my example above of Block A. We'll say the the values (1-5) should not have changed at all from being stock to getting chipped. But after the being chipped instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 you get 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 because of some quirk in the ECU code. Now me reading VAG-COM block A I would think that things may have doubled. But in reality nothing has changed, it's only the new code on the chip relaying info differently.
So I was just wondering if you had any means to check for something like that.
I hope that makes sense... Because I think I confused myself now. So close to Friday : 5:00pm.... so clooosse.

· Registered
3,299 Posts

no i think he means like a block for instance, when stock, would return RPM then boost then timing, but after chipped it would return RPM then timing then boost.
I don't think this is possible, unles they are changing the code to store the information in differnt address locations

· Registered
6,776 Posts

heh... no.
If Ross-Tech check to see that VAG-COM didn't need to be 'zeroed' for cars that have chipped ECUs. In case the tuners code modifies the readings from all the sensors in any manner.
To make sure that 1 2 3 4 5 was still 1 2 3 4 5 after having a chip.
EDIT: This would be more of a check to see if the chip tuners don't change the way information or the value of information is sent out to the OBDII port with their code. Not a check to see if VAG-COM works with different chips, etc...

Modified by judoGTI at 12:27 PM 1-9-2004

· Registered
6,787 Posts

Quote, originally posted by judoGTI »
heh... no.
If Ross-Tech check to see that VAG-COM didn't need to be 'zeroed' for cars that have chipped ECUs. In case the tuners code modifies the readings from all the sensors in any manner.
EDIT: This would be more of a check to see if the chip tuners don't change the way information or the value of information is sent out to the OBDII port with their code. Not a check to see if VAG-COM works with different chips, etc...

If there was "different" code being used, the VAG wouldn't work with that ECU (read: chip). The protocol needs to remain.

· Registered
3,938 Posts

heh... no.

Are you uasking if vag can check/show if a chip tuner is altering a sensor reading? ie doing electronically what people are doing physically with clamping map sensors? So if a car is running 10lbs boost the sensor is reporting only 7lbs or something like that.

· Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

heh... no.

I'm still not sure I understand your question, but here goes. Let's say a chiptuner decides to rewrite some instruction in the ECU so that airflow in g/s as reported via the measuring blocks is one half what the actual value is. VAG-COM will always do what the factory diagnostic tools (currently the VAS-5052) do, that is report what the ECU is passing on. So, if that information is no longer an accurate picture of reality, then so be it. VAG-COM and the VAS-5052 would both be off, because they were being "lied to", in essence.
Now, if a customer knew for a fact that their chip did this sort of airlfow halving, the customer could write their own application for VAG-Scope (freeware, open-source) that could display the correct airflow. In fact, the customer could write the app so that airflow was displayed in lb/hr, or stones/decade, etc.

· Registered
8,403 Posts
Re: VAG-COM Hardware and Chiptuners' Software (Zoso)

Wow, nobody understands what this guy is asking. He's asking if modifying the operating parameters of the ecu (i.e., chip) alters the response values of the ecu if everything else remains the same. For example,

will the Group and Block designations and values remain the same after chipping?
The answer is yes. Chip tuners change the operating parameters of the code, not the interface (at least current chip tuners).

Modified by JettaRed at 3:02 PM 1-9-2004

· Registered
6,776 Posts

Yeah that was my question. I was just wondering if Ross-Tech checked for that sort of thing. Not that, in my opinion, you have to. I was just wondering if you did. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Painful painful thread..

· Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: VAG-COM Hardware and Chiptuners' Software (JettaRed)

I have received several questions lately about using Ross-Tech VAG-COM hardware (our diagnostic Interfaces) with the APR V-Tune and GIAC Mobile Tuner and Revo Lemmiwinks (listed in alphabetical order ).
Ross-Tech hasn't seen or used any of these products and we have not been asked by any of those chiptuner for our hardware specs, USB driver information, etc. So, if you want to use Ross-Tech hardware with other kinds of software, feel free to. But it is the responsibility of the chiptuners to determine if their stuff is compatible with ours.

· Registered
4,712 Posts

From what I hear, or have heard these "tuneing" packages basically just put what vag-com already can do in a nicer package... Is there any idea if vag-com can perform these functions themselves, and if there is any chance of a Vag-Com approved tuning function? Preferrable map based

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.