VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey VW noob here but if I needed to get the immobilizier reprogrammed on my keys do I just need someone with a vag-com or do I need to go to the dealership?
Upon searching i have been getting mixed information on threads and just wanted some clarification.
If i just need a vag-com is there anyone in the North OC area that has one that can help me out?

·
Vendor
311 Posts
VCDS can in most cases do Immobilizer key adaptions IF you already have the PIN for that Immobilizer system. If you do not have the PIN, then no adaptions for you.

The dealers use a system called GeKo in which the factory scan tool retrieves some information from the Immobilizer and submits it over the internet to a server that has a database of stored PINs and submits it back to the dealer scan tool. But the factory scan tool DOES NOT show the PIN info, so dealers have no clue what it is. VCDS does not work with GeKo.

Lastly, a PIN is a 4 digit code in most cases. You will also hear people yap about the "SKC" number. The SKC is an encrypted version of the PIN that is generated based on the actual PIN itself, the date is was generated on, and the dealer's Work Shop Code it was generated for. If you have a SKC, along with the dealer and date information, you can use it with VCDS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice, i only called one shop and they told me 100 so i figured i would call around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the keyblade and fob and i already got the blade cut to my car, dealer said 115 so im still looking.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i have the keyblade and fob and i already got the blade cut to my car, dealer said 115 so im still looking.
You have to be aware of those keys. Any other key except one from dealer may have used chip for immobilizer and with used chip it will not be possible to adopt keys on immobilizer 3 system. As your signature says 2004 VW , you have immobilizer 3 system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm well im pretty sure there's some sort of return policy if it doesnt work out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts