VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else seen this error code and if due to what.I rev the car often over the redline but never gotten the this code before.I can clear it but it's back the next time I check for codes.In Europe we have no speed limit on the cars themselves so it shouldn't come from driving fast, 144mph is the maximum speed of the VR6 according to the car manual which I havent exceeded.
used to have this one
00515 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
Played around with the wires going from the sensor to try to find the shortcircuit and the error went away
I know that the camshaft and engine speed sensor work in conjunction to set the correct timing.So now I suspect that this error code is retarding my timing.
Shouldn't it give a code for the speed sensor and not maximum speed exceeded?
Any ideas

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (waranty void)? (Skogster)

I get this sometimes. If you rev the motor over 7200 RPM it automatically logs a code, even if your chip removes the rev limiter.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,742 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (FatSean)

And the slow baud rate of OBD2 makes the logging of this code sportatic, so it doesn't always follow a logical pattern.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (Surf Green)

I was exactly going to post about this same subject. I got it for the first time a week ago. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. That code is the least of my worries when it comes to CEL. If it comes up again, that means your having a lot of fun, so good luck and be safe. later
David http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (mk2vr6)

What mph do you have to hit to set this code off? Also will the dealership really void your warranty for setting this code off?
I mean why in the hell would they make it so the car can go that fast and then void your warranty if you do. Nice job VW.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (JustinVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]What mph do you have to hit to set this code off? Also will the dealership really void your warranty for setting this code off?
I mean why in the hell would they make it so the car can go that fast and then void your warranty if you do. Nice job VW.
[HR][/HR]​
They made the car so that it is possible to downshift into 1st gear at 70 mph but it will still break. What exactly is your point? Abuse is abuse, the car does not make power in the redline anyway.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (hansrandal)

Where in any of my sentences do I talk about redlining? No where.
Driving your car at 130mph is not abuse.
No where in my contract does it state that I can not exceed 65mph. No where in my contract does it state that driving 130mph+ is abuse to my car.
No where!

·
Registered
9 Posts

so let me get this straight. when you are driving on the highway, and you shift from 3-4th, and the tranny allows the car to go into second gear (which it should not do under any circumstance!) and the engine rpm goes thru the roof, registering this message. vw says your warranty is void? should the synchro's and the pressure plate allow the car into gear ,hell no!. does it happen.... i plead the 5th.
my point is. if the car allows this to happen, it is a manufacturer's defect. Normally the only way the car allows you to downshift is by increasing the rpm's until the synchro's mesh. not going from gear to gear.....
I agree, driving the car like you stole it is abuse, and abuse should not be covered. but there are circumstances where the car has problems, and vr6's have known issues with synchro's in upshifting and downshifting.... if there are cases where this can happen under normal conditions, not abuse... then the policy is nothing more than a way out of warranty repairs....

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (Blown_shift)

?? Does the code include Warrenty void. You would need to read your warrenty including the fine print. It would need to state in the warrenty that over reving voids the warrenty. In the states and depending on what state they can not void a warrenty.
This is like adding a cam shaft to your car then the tranny fails. They HAVE to cover the tranny or be able to PROVE the cam was the DIRECT link to the failed part.
It is kind of iffy I know but it is pretty clear. Like chipping a 1.8t should not void the warrenty on the whole car. and they would need to prove that the chip caused the problem
Go to the SEMA sight and learn more.

·
Registered
399 Posts

I just had the same error problem, and replacing the sensor fixed it. I picked it up at parts4vws.com. However, try cleaning the sensor. . . when I pulled my old one out, it had a layer of caked/burnt oil on the end. I might have been able to just clean it, but I already had the new one... Hope that helps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (Blown_shift)

quote:[HR][/HR]so let me get this straight. when you are driving on the highway, and you shift from 3-4th, and the tranny allows the car to go into second gear (which it should not do under any circumstance!) and the engine rpm goes thru the roof, registering this message. vw says your warranty is void? should the synchro's and the pressure plate allow the car into gear ,hell no!. does it happen.... i plead the 5th.
my point is. if the car allows this to happen, it is a manufacturer's defect. Normally the only way the car allows you to downshift is by increasing the rpm's until the synchro's mesh. not going from gear to gear..... [HR][/HR]​
I think you are confused between race trannys and trannys with synchros, or you don't know how to explain yourself effectively. The synchros are what allow the gears to mesh. Not revving the engine. Rev matching is better for the synchros because they don't have to work as hard, but just releasing the clutch will allow the gears to mesh. Thats what synchros do. In a race tranny (Which does not have synchros) you have to rev the engine to get the gears to mesh (AKA Double Clutching).
As far as the car being "Defective" because it let you do something stupid, maybe you should think again. You don't expect your car to change its own oil or pre-emptively slow down to keep you from hitting the guy in front of you so why would you expect it to not let you shift improperly. If thats what you want, thats what they make automatics for. If you are flyin around slamming your car into gear to try and pass someone then it is your own damn fault. Regardless if you were racing or just shifting, you should either learn how to drive stick better or simply not drive stick. If you are don't complain about your own idiocy. Try taking responsibility for your own actions.
I think people would be a lot more receptive if you came in and said "I screwed up and accidentally shifted into second at 70. What do I do now?" than talking about how your car is deffective. IMO the problem with your car exists not with the tranny, but instead directly between the steering wheel and driver's seat.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (VReihenmotor6)

I think the "warranty void" part of it was a little joke put in by the friendly people at Ross-Tech. Not something coming directly from VW.... Take a breather, guys.

·
Registered
20-year vortex veteran
2,125 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (BrandonC)

ROFL! Exactly. All those text messages from the codes are Ross's interpretation of the codes. If it wasn't for his software, you would just get a numeric code.
They CAN void your warranty, because if you have the stock chip it is impossible to come anywhere near the hard limit (unless you miss-shift!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: VAG COM:Maximum engine speed limit exceeded (dvankuren)

Ouch.... [problem betwen steering wheel and seat] that hurts man. synchros do ease the shift by making up for the delta between engine speed and tranny gear speed. in doing so it goes in without grinding. however, if your rpm is to low for a lower gear... ie you did not double clutch, or heel-toe the gas, the synchros will grind, and will not mesh the gear into place. I have been driving stick for 15 years, and never missed a shift to a lower gear where the tranny actually engaged. this is my thrid vw stick, and same dice. in pleading the 5th i was admitting the same, but why is it that the gear actually engaged... the same theory plays out with all of my cars. if your engine rpm is too low for a lower gear it will not go. ever try to put it in 1st while doing 25+ stick won;t go, unless you raise the engine rpm. why is that? honest question...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.