VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a vagcom 401 to adapt my front suspension after I replace my airstruts but I can't seem to get it to connect. Note, I have updated the tool online any help would be helpful

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are your settings set up correctly.

Connect cable to car and laptop.
Turn engine on.
Start software.
Settings - pick correct type of connection.
Test the connection.
Only then should you start working with the rest.

·
3,431 Posts
53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN:

What's a vagcom 401?
The VAG401 is is a hand-held interface gadget made by Xtools in Shenzhen, China that talks to the controllers in post-1996 Volkswagen-Audi Group cars. It uses the OBD-II, K-wire and CAN-Bus ports available in the OBD-II diagnostics socket. This gadget has no connection with Ross-Tech or their VCDS system (which was formerly known as VAG-COM).

Posts in other forums refer to using the gadget in conjunction with the MVB and Controller data which is visibly embedded in the files of older versions of the VCDS software from Ross-Tech. This is because the gadget does not include any such information in itself.

Prior version of Xtools X-100+ and X200 have been withdrawn because of copyright infringement in their software. Maybe the present product is free of this problem, but personally I do feel that if folks wish to use data researched and provided by Ross-Tech and ourselves (this forum contributed data to Ross-Tech) it is slightly off-kilter to unreservedly promote this VAG 401 gadget unless it is used stand-alone.

Time will tell. It certainly looks useful, and it's certainly 8 times cheaper than VCDS. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it actually works on a Phaeton, but then I have already paid Ross-Tech for a VCDS software licence so I would feel justified to use Ross-Tech's VCDS embedded information with it.

Chris

image (c) Xtools, Shenzhen

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
The VAG401 is is a hand-held interface gadget made by Xtools in Shenzhen, China that talks to the controllers in post-1996 Volkswagen-Audi Group cars. It uses the OBD-II, K-wire and CAN-Bus ports available in the OBD-II diagnostics socket. This gadget has no connection with Ross-Tech or their VCDS system (which was formerly known as VAG-COM).

Posts in other forums refer to using the gadget in conjunction with the MVB and Controller data which is visibly embedded in the files of older versions of the VCDS software from Ross-Tech. This is because the gadget does not include any such information in itself.

Prior version of Xtools X-100+ and X200 have been withdrawn because of copyright infringement in their software. Maybe the present product is free of this problem, but personally I do feel that if folks wish to use data researched and provided by Ross-Tech and ourselves (this forum contributed data to Ross-Tech) it is slightly off-kilter to unreservedly promote this VAG 401 gadget unless it is used stand-alone.

Time will tell. It certainly looks useful, and it's certainly 8 times cheaper than VCDS. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it actually works on a Phaeton, but then I have already paid Ross-Tech for a VCDS software licence so I would feel justified to use Ross-Tech's VCDS embedded information with it.

Chris
Thanks for the info. Does it do more than just spit out error codes? Does it allow you to actually look up MVBs and toggle values?

It sounds like previous versions had pirated copies of VCDS embedded. Is that an accurate assessment on my part?

-Eric

·
3,431 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does it do more than just spit out error codes? Does it allow you to actually look up MVBs and toggle values?

It sounds like previous versions had pirated copies of VCDS embedded. Is that an accurate assessment on my part?

-Eric
Hi Eric,

AFAIK it does allow you to read out MVBs and change parameters. That is, provided you already know which MVB numbers you want a readout of and which parameters you want to change, including their values. It doesn't prompt you with guidance or information.

However, take note of the OP's remarks (Sgttaz, post #1) that it would not connect to his Phaeton.

I don't know what the copyright infringement was. I doubt it contained much (or anything) from VCDS directly, it is more likely that they used someone else's tricks to gain access to some controller info, but that's a pure guess on my part.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts