VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4367 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first VW and I'm absolutely loving my GTI. I've always wanted one, but have been driving an Acura MDX for the past 13 years, and a Honda CRX Si before that. Family changes dictated the change. Kids are now driving or almost driving, so got what I wanted.

I've seen references to VAGCOM in numerous places. It looks like a way to adjust parameters/functions on your car that aren't available through the car's setup menu. I googled something about it once and ended up on a German site, but I was hoping there's an English version somewhere.

Can someone tell me what this is or how it works? How can I access it? Do you need special cables? Do you access it via a web-enabled program is it a program that runs locally on your computer?

Any help or links that can help me figure this out would be great. I'd like to find out what kinds of things can be changed/enhanced/etc. I saw a comment in a post once that said a poster's dealer adjusted the volume of his Soundaktor down to 0% for him; I'm assuming this VAGCOM deal may be how it was done.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm also new to the VAGCOM/VCDS scene and have done a fair bit of research myself. I'm completely ready to pull the trigger on a cable, but I don't have a PC to run the software (and don't really want to partition my Mac and then pay for a Win7/8 license solely for this purpose). Luckily, there are a lot of guys in my area who come to various car shows/meets and are willing to let others use their PCs and cables for quick tweaks.

In my research, I found this thread: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.0

It's a long one, but lots of good info and write-ups on exactly how to change certain things. The ones I'm most interested in at the moment are making the fogs/DRLs the coming/leaving home lights, as well as coding the bulb out error for my license LEDs (don't like running resistors).

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
i was thinking or getting one
are these the only choices, i read in another post you can get the software for free if you know where to look...?
then you only have to buy a cable on ebay?
am i understanding this correct, if not, whats the best place to go, i keep hearing ross,
and what is a fair price?
The software is free, but requires a genuine cable to authenticate it and allow you to use it. I wouldn't buy from anywhere but Ross-Tech.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Would this work as well?

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHN.html

And it supports my phone too :D BlackBerry Z10
This should work no problem but you still need to connect to a computer to get full coding functions, it allow lots of functionality via phone to but not all yet. They will keep upgrading it probably.

So this gives you everything a cable does plus wireless functionality for phones and other devices.
It's nice but double the price.

Probably a more future proof option :)

ps. I am using a z30 and would not trade it for any other device.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This should work no problem but you still need to connect to a computer to get full coding functions, it allow lots of functionality via phone to but not all yet. They will keep upgrading it probably.

So this gives you everything a cable does plus wireless functionality for phones and other devices.
It's nice but double the price.

Probably a more future proof option :)

ps. I am using a z30 and would not trade it for any other device.
I think it's worth it and since I'm getting the BlackBerry Passport soon as it comes out it will be greater :D

Also how is BlackBerry 10 with the car?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I think it's worth it and since I'm getting the BlackBerry Passport soon as it comes out it will be greater :D

Also how is BlackBerry 10 with the car?
I'm also looking at the Passport :)

Everything works perfectly with the car. I've used music streaming (I think high quality audio works as well), calling and receiving calls, as well as address book importing automatically.
Phone shows a big VW logo on lock screen while connected.

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Dont know about http://www.ilexa.co.uk/acatalog/vagcom.html but the vag-diagnostic sells knockoff cables. You save money but you will not get updates and your cable will get disabled if you are connected to the internet while plugged in. I bought one years ago and it became garbage and could nto use it with any new models.
Get the real thing, trust me, better to save for it then spend 3rd of the money and realize a year later you can't do some functions, then if a new update comes you are even more screwed.

The cable holds the license to VCDS software so if you have a fake cable the software will try and disable it, and its illegal. Ross-tech makes the software and official cables. That is what you want, otherwise you will spend less but end up spending more.

This is everything you need for MK7 and below.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html
What he said. If you buy a knockoff or cheapo cable, you're stealing from Ross-Tech. They're a good company who will go WAY out of their way to take care of people who own their products, so in my mind it's worth it to buy a real cable from them.

Would this work as well?

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHN.html

And it supports my phone too :D BlackBerry Z10
Yes. Ross-Tech is the company who produces the VAG-Com Diagnostic Suite.

-Tim

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Got a promotion and raise today at work, so I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a cable! :D Going to run Windows on my Macbook Pro without sacrificing too much disk space via VMware Fusion 6. Will utilize my .EDU email address to source Windows for a pretty fair price.

Looking forward to tweaking some things! Ross-Tech's shipping options are pretty ridiculous, but at least it should get here Friday or Saturday the latest.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got a promotion and raise today at work, so I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a cable! :D Going to run Windows on my Macbook Pro without sacrificing too much disk space via VMware Fusion 6. Will utilize my .EDU email address to source Windows for a pretty fair price.

Looking forward to tweaking some things! Ross-Tech's shipping options are pretty ridiculous, but at least it should get here Friday or Saturday the latest.
Congrats! What option did you pick?

·
Registered
528 Posts

Congrats on the promotion! The money will be well spent. I've been using a vag com since 2007. I don't know everything about it or what it can do but I do enjoy using it. Just can't wait for Ross Tech to get all the coding figured out and the English translation done too. You'll like it. It will keep you busy for a while :p You can always join the Ross Tech forums too. When you learn how to do an Auto scan of your car send it to them. It will help them decipher the coding.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Great thread- It would be nice to find a short list of some handy stuff to do so that not much time is spent muddling about.
I have a long list if your interested.

1 - 20 of 4367 Posts