VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Passat Wagon. All bone stock, all original. 76,000 miles. Not perfect, leaking heater core has been bypassed, updated headunit, One muffler has been removed and straight piped PROPERLY. Zero rust, couple dents and dings. All around great and original car. I know there isnt much of a market for B4s but is seems that i have a super low mileage example compared to the craigslist ads that say (LOW MILEAGE) but its still got 120,000, but im still curious of the possible value of this car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
im also wondering. Mine that i acquired a couple months ago is a midnight black vr6 5speed wagon with 72k. 100% stock. id say our cars are worth more than most would think. I LOVE these cars, i had a 1994 sedan that was unfourtantly involved in a crash. it had over 200k and rust so dont feel all too bad. my guess would be around the 8-9k mark to be honest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think so? I mean I only paid $400 for it, i bought it off my uncle who owns a foreign shop in Mass. He wanted it off his lot so I took it off his hands. Ive put only another $450 into it but thats gonna go up because it needs a coil pack. But yeah its not too bad, no rot at all just a little bit of surface rust from sitting for a year and a half. The drivers side door lock doesnt work which is fine. Unfortunately mine is an automatic but its a blast to drive. Its my first car so Ill probably beat the hell out of it

·
Registered
11 Posts
please, please, again please dont beat the hell out of it. its unfortunate its a manual but they are rare very nice cars. would you be willing to sell it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh that you will! They are amazing cars, dont let anyone tell you differently. i currently have my 2nd and it will die with me. they arnt fast, and they dont take corners at 70mph but they have enough pep to pass that granny ahead of you and look good doing it. throw a set of coil overs and nice wheels on it and youll have a car that gets you plenty of respect at car shows. if you ever have any questions hit me up! ive had one of these apart down to the heater core i know quite a bit about them :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh that you will! They are amazing cars, dont let anyone tell you differently. i currently have my 2nd and it will die with me. they arnt fast, and they dont take corners at 70mph but they have enough pep to pass that granny ahead of you and look good doing it. throw a set of coil overs and nice wheels on it and youll have a car that gets you plenty of respect at car shows. if you ever have any questions hit me up! ive had one of these apart down to the heater core i know quite a bit about them :laugh:
Oh thanks! Mine needs a heater core next fall so well see how that goes. Im hoping I can keep up on the maintenance long enough to keep it until I die. All I have to do right now is sort out the ignition problem ive got going on right now but im a little discouraged. The plug wires and plugs are such a pain to get to and if I do anything to the car im afraid it will blow up :laugh:. Which im trying to stop doing but oh well. I want to swap plug wires on cylinders that I know arent misfiring to get down to what the issue is. My brother tells me not to unplug anything with the battery connected or ill have problems (hes engined swapped his corrado 3 times). And both of my uncles have been german car mechanics all their lives so I have people to lean on. Either way its a learning experience and if I need your help ill definitely reach out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
your gonna love it man! and thats my goal with mine too! one good piece of info i found when my 1994 had a misfire is if you look for engine parts specifically for the passat it seems to be alot more expensive. i needed a coil pack one listed for a passat vr6 was like 95 bucks and i bought one for a mk3 jetta vr6 and it was 55. i know it could be diffrent brands but still.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
your gonna love it man! and thats my goal with mine too! one good piece of info i found when my 1994 had a misfire is if you look for engine parts specifically for the passat it seems to be alot more expensive. i needed a coil pack one listed for a passat vr6 was like 95 bucks and i bought one for a mk3 jetta vr6 and it was 55. i know it could be diffrent brands but still.
Actually I just started it the other night because I was curious because it hadn’t been started in a while, and it ran fine. So it fixed itself. I was waxing it today and found 2 tiny rust bubbling spots, no bigger than a dime. Also, the Wolfsburg crest on the fender was replaced because whoever did it put it on upside down. Wicked smart

·
Registered
504 Posts
$600

heater core makes it useless in the cold. Cost of fixing that "totals" the car. Just another broken VW at that point.

·
Registered
163 Posts
$600

heater core makes it useless in the cold. Cost of fixing that "totals" the car. Just another broken VW at that point.
About 15 years ago, I had a heater core fail in my (departed) B4/VR6. $900 to fix. I called VW customer service, and sweet talked them into comping me for the repair bill. Gotta pull the dashboard to replace the heater core.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the heater is NOT as bad as people make it seem. and all the DIYS add way too many unnecessary extra steps. If you know how to wrench at all i would suggest not even following them.

Just pull the dash and the cluster and the instrument panels and keep working your way back there to heater box. It took me a day I could have got it done in like 4-5 hours if i didnt make the mistake of following the diys.

you DO NOT have to remove the streering wheel or cut off any special bolts like they say either.

your car is worth about 35-4 but not very many people are interested in b4 passats except ppl like us so if sold you would get in the high two thousands

1 - 12 of 12 Posts