VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What to buy?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped a stock exhaust valve through a piston on my last build so this time I'm looking at doing a fully build head. I have an AEB core already, super clean, fresh stock rebuild and I'm looking to do a full performance rebuild.

I got a great price on Supertech stuff but when bouncing the idea off friends I hear mixed reviews about that company. So I wanted to ask here if the bad reputation is true or is a bunch of BS.

My turbo setup is a Force Fed Engineering top mount/vband Precision 5857dbb, Precision FMIC, Uni 870cc software. So far the motor build parts bin has Brute riffle drilled rods, a fresh block & ARP head & main studs. I still need to order pistons and a bunch of other small stuff. The last motor made 410whp @ 24psi / small port head / pump 93.

Pics for clicks:
(fresh AEB)

(busted AMU)

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you ever have a catastrophic timing belt failure, the supertech inconel exhaust valves have a tendency to snap and bounce around in your combustion chamber f'ing everything up.

The ferrea super alloy valves have a better chance of bending and saving your engine.

That's about it. That said I have supertech inconel exhaust valves in my built engine.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed's great and I'll be dropping off my motor to have it built there, however, I know his opinion is Ferrea. I have another friend who owns a shop and his is Supertech. I just wanted to see what the general forum consensus was and if anyone had experiences to back it up.

I had my redline set at 7600 IIRC- yep too much. Let a friend drive the car and that was the end of that :thumbdown: Probably will be changing it to 7k even since I have no need to rev above that really.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I went through these thoughts before purchasing parts as well. Ended up going with Ferrea everything.. do it once and do it right. Plus, it's only a couple "bucks" more.

That said, Supertech makes a good product also.

If your doing a simple ex valve upgrade and trying to save, just grab the supertech's.. If you're going to go all out. Do the Ferrea valvetrain.

GL

13,388 Posts
All the top fuel dragster guys run Ferrea. My father always did. Nascar guys run Ferrea, as do Indy car guys, etc.. And not just some of them.. Most all of them run Ferrea..Its universally accepted that Ferrea will rev higher, and take more abuse. Kinda a no brainer to me when the cost difference is minimal.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ferrea...I have the complete ST valvetrain and I am removing it ALL (less than 1500miles):thumbdown::facepalm:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've built with and provided both. Have a smorgasboard of engines on the assembly bench with an SR20DET, BMW S50 mixed in there. A few of them were previous builds utilizing both and they are both fine. I notice alot of ppl like to blame the components (always the easy way out), but its mostly up to the engine builder/machine shop that determines the outcome of a project. Every shop has their way and its usually through the course of many repetitive builds that we learn how to do things. To do it right and withstand abuse, its not just about throwing parts together.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Arnold :thumbup: With that said I think I'll stick with the original plan of getting the Supertech stuff.

Wish I didn't try to cut corners the first time by not building the head, but I guess we learn from our mistakes!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I notice alot of ppl like to blame the components (always the easy way out), but its mostly up to the engine builder/machine shop that determines the outcome of a project.
I disagree with this statement.
When you receive Supertech valves and almost half of the valves have the wrong angle cuts then it becomes an issue of QC with the manufacturer not the engine builder/installer. When it happens twice in the span of 4 months then it becomes a "deja-vu" . No advertiser on this forum has taken more flack for failed Supertech components than us from BAM oil squirter piston issues , undersized wrist pins to even faulty valve springs.

When it comes to the actual product in your hand and after purchase customer support Ferrea > Supertech.Been using Ferrea for 3+ years and only recently had an issue with (1) single valve which Ferrea was more than accommodating to take care of. If a customer still wants Supertech units we will educate them and allow them to make the choice but we use Ferrea components in our CNC'ed heads for the 1.8T 20V , 2.0 16V FSI and 2.5 20V FSI.

OP : You do not *need* to change your intake valves. Use your OEM units and the money you save put it towards the remainder of the Ferrea package.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
wrong angle cuts? A valve angle grinder is a fixed device. Its not easy to screw that up. Even from a novice. When putting in valves, I generally recut the seats anyway as there will def be new guides going in that requires a special bit of attention as well. I never said that ferrea was a bad product. I've been dealing w/ ferrea product before they became fashionable although they arent on my website. Both make a solid product.

I agree w/ you on the supertech pistons. Never offered them after a debacle i had w/ a honda app years ago, but that is neither here nor there. Every company has a few mishaps once in a while. I've been frustrated at one point or another w/ every single one of my suppliers... Its just how you handle it that is important. I havent had the nightmarish issues w/ supertech valvetrain that ppl have pruported and this has spanned years and many builds

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I think both have their places. The ferrea spring rates are a bit better for extreme use, and the valves do seem a bit tougher, again- in extreme use.

If you're just building a street car and you want to feel safe at 8 grand, or 8250- etc- then the supertech stuff works great.

I quit selling the supertech pistons a long time ago for those and other reasons- While the "reward" of high margins on them is sweet- the hassles are not. When you get them sorted, they do seem to work fine however. They definitely do not hold up to huge power, but again, most customers are not looking for a drag race style setup.

Proper assembly and measurement of critical specs such as the valve spring installed height- does have LOTS to do with the success or failure of your build.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So do we but we wont cut half the seats for a certain pattern of valve and the other half for the remaining units in the box.
Well, you certainly wouldnt. But we are all guilty of putting our shoes on backwards sometimes in our lives. Again, nothing wrong w/ the valves. Perhaps they sent you something out of a custom batch by accident. There are different angles that ppl prefer to build their engines you know for specific purposes. They sent you the wrong valves, then have them send you the correct ones. Its not a major disaster...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.