VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took me long enough! Here's how I did it.
I had a pair of stock rotors machined to accept Porsche 911 / 930 front rotors, 282mm dia. and vented.
You can see the size difference in this pic.

Rear shot of new rotor set up

The actual rotor has to be cut off the hub of the Vanagon so you can have the hub machined. The Porsche rotor is bolted to the hub from the rear.
Next comes the Porsche Brembo 4 piston caliper adapter. All custom fabricated and welded by me... yikes!

I welded nuts the the adapter to make it easy to bolt on.
One nice thing about using Porsche calipers is that they use the same brake line fittings.

Real subtle, you have to look close to see "Porsche" on the calipers.

Modified by Eric Didier at 10:05 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Vanagon-S gets Porsche brakes! (Eric Didier)

Congratulations Eric! Looks great. Looks like you need to run spacers or adapters to get the wheel clearance. I want to do something similar to my 82 Doka. I will be using 944 Turbo calipers up front and 993 calipers on the rear. I measured my stock front hub/rotors but they did not jive with the Porsche rotors, so looks like I need to upgrade to the 86 and later Vanagon rotors. I think I will do the complete front suspension as it is a beefier lower arm and the spindles have the larger outer bearing. Still have not decided how to do the rears. By the way, the 930 fornt rotor is 304mm diameter, 32 mm thick and is directional. The 1986 944 Turbo front rotor is also directional, 298mm diameter and 28mm thick and has the same mounting pattern as the 911/930.
Vic

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Vanagon-S gets Porsche brakes! (FriendlyGhost)

Porsche calipers: $300 - e-bay
Porsche rotors : $165 - Halsey automotive
Machine hubs : $ 130 - Frank Lyons machine
steel & hardware:$ 19 - Metal supermarket, & ace hardware
---------
$614
Real hard pedal now, effort is way less than stock Vanagon calipers.
Looks are what really makes this a cool conversion.
I made templates for the adapter incase anyone wants to do something similar.
A larger front wheel is required, and a 25mm spacer/ adapter.
using a stock wheel would not be possible due to the placement of the caliper.
Rears coming soon! looks to be a 944 / 911 style with the drum handbrake / disk setup using a 2 piston caliper.

·
Banned
5,847 Posts

looks sweet-----I might consider it....................IF I had the power to make them necesarry

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Re: Vanagon-S gets Porsche brakes! (Bantastique)

Quote, originally posted by Bantastique »
looks sweet-----I might consider it....................IF I had the power to make them necesarry

you should... you have the looks, now you need the power!
5-cyl 20v turbo- my obsession that I will never do anything about.

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Re: Vanagon-S gets Porsche brakes! (eve_ill)

Quote, originally posted by eve_ill »

5-cyl 20v turbo- .

Nope---I need the growl of a VR in that baby

·
Registered
6 Posts

I am curious to see what you come up with for the rear brakes!
Vic

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Re: Vanagon-S gets Porsche brakes! (rsvic)

I tried emailing you, but couldn't get it to work Eric, so I posted some questions for you on the WRX thread.
but for anyone else out there with porsche brakes...have you got specifics, like technical drawings/plans/templates???
let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Eric, very nice work. I have a 235hp vanagon with the SA brakes and the 15" SA wheels. Would your setup clear this wheel? What working diameter do you need to fit it in the wheel. EG if I measured the working diameter and added 5mm for clearance what would that number be? If you're near California give me a mail.
ruffled grouch AKA Al Knoll Syncro Westie SVX

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Vanagon-S gets Porsche brakes! (ruffledgrouch)

Look at the diameter of the Porsche rotors, I think they're 282mm
I just took a ruler to the wheel, and from the center to the edge of the caliper is about 17 cm
If you have that kind of clearance, I'm sure it would work. Now your second problem is the offset, and you have a syncro...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts