VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, fellow vortexers! So the other day I decided to disable NAR restrictions on my GTI with LP using VCDS. All I can say is WOW!!! It seems to have waken up the entire adaptive feature tenfold. The HID adaptive headlights now seem to turn way more degrees then they did previously. They now also raise slightly when the vehicle exceeds 55mph. Also, the cornering lamps now turn on more frequently at ideal times I want them to turn on. Overall I recommend this mod to everyone with access to VAG-COM. Now on to my question. Does anyone know if the changes that I noticed are actually documented anywhere by VW? I'm wondering if I missed anything that is not so eye catching as the changes I have listed...

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
This is interesting. I've always thought that the "adaptive" headlights left a lot to be desired, especially after what I was used to on my E90 M3. Can you provide the details?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used this site for most of my mods. https://sites.google.com/a/naturalnetworks.ca/vw-golf-mk7-vcds-how-to/home

WARNING: After you disable NAR restrictions you need to re-calibrate the adaptive lighting also via VCDS otherwise you'll end up with a CEL that your ARS (or whatever they call it) is not functioning and adaptive lighting will now work anymore. This freaked me out until I found another thread describing this process in detail. Also, it is a good idea to keep track of your original settings. I do this in an Excel spreadsheet.

Here are my settings to disable NAR restrictions:

image upload

One other thing I forgot to mention. i am using VCDS 16.8

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem! :beer:

(Sorry for the passive aggressive comment at the end. At the time, this was a daily question and after answering it 50 times, I was rather annoyed :p)
Oh that was you?!?!? LOL thanks for the guide brother:beer:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Oh that was you?!?!? LOL thanks for the guide brother:beer:
Kamofy: I think you meant to identify the module in your table as "55" ("52" is the passenger door control module)
Don

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
No problem! :beer:

(Sorry for the passive aggressive comment at the end. At the time, this was a daily question and after answering it 50 times, I was rather annoyed :p)
I thought that was funny actually. I have seen how many times that you have answered this same question.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kamofy: I think you meant to identify the module in your table as "55" ("52" is the passenger door control module)
Don
I think you may be correct, Don. Thanks for the correction. I will update my spreadsheet accordingly.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Indeed it was! No problem!
So I tried this today. Followed your instructions. All went as you showed.

However, it seems now that the light sensor is not acting as it was before. The switch is set to auto, it isn't dark, and the headlights are turning on when normally they wouldn't.

I have the lights "turn-on time" set to "late". I tried setting it early and back to late again.

Have you seen this before?

When it gets dark I will confirm that AFS is working when cornering.

So far, it seems as though the change has allowed the cornering lights to be on with the fog lights.

I wonder if I need to reset the lights to factory settings, in the infotainment menu...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Working better / properly today.

Not sure if it was fixed by disabling and enabling AFS in the infotainment screen. Or if the sensors just needed more time to recalibrate.

Either way, I will now end this conversation with myself. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
What exactly does removing the NAR do? As far as I can find it:

1. Increases the headlight "swivel" angle/range
  2. Corner lights active even if the fogs are on
  3. headlights rise when going over 55 mph

Are there any long term adverse effects of turning the NAR off?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
What exactly does removing the NAR do? As far as I can find it:

1. Increases the headlight "swivel" angle/range
  2. Corner lights active even if the fogs are on
  3. headlights rise when going over 55 mph

Are there any long term adverse effects of turning the NAR off?
Ive been running them this way for a year now with no side effects at all. I cannot see why this would cause issues as the headlights move all the time as is (AFS and auto leveling).

2 and 3 for sure. I can't tell if the headlights swivel more than before.
Actually, it DOES seem that they swivel more than usual.... Again, its been a year since the change so I am still not exactly sure....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ive been running them this way for a year now with no side effects at all. I cannot see why this would cause issues as the headlights move all the time as is (AFS and auto leveling).

Actually, it DOES seem that they swivel more than usual.... Again, its been a year since the change so I am still not exactly sure....
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts