VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ECS boost gauge kit, has anyone tried the red light instead of the badly matching blue light? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif The red looks much better and it will not pi$$ you off like the blue one. IMO.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Re: (veedub96gti)

i too wanted to buy the red LED from 42 for a better match but then Evan at 42 told me they are workin on a PERFECT match blue LED to be out hopefully in 3-4 weeks . so if you prefer blue, i would just wait.

· Registered
12,007 Posts
Re: VDO boost gauge - kill the fake blue light, check out the red one. (MDog)

I've already been through the VDO "blue" LED thing. I finally got pissed and bought the AWE Tuning boost gauge which is installed in my 42DD a-pillar pod. I can't tell you how much I like this setup. Here's a night picture to show how well the aftermarket gauge color matches the OE gauge cluster. BTW....my setup is NOT for sale:

· Registered
861 Posts
Re: VDO boost gauge - kill the fake blue light, check out the red one. (Uberhare)

Looks good uber. I was actually going to buy the pod a short time ago as I was assured by others that it was low enough on the a pillar as to not affect the airbag.
Then I saw this on 42's site "Some 2001 and later VW vehicles use A-pillar mount airbags. A-pillar pods should NOT be used on these vehicles." and decided to hold off for a while.

Sweet gauge though. Can't wait till awe get's the 52mm back in.

· Registered
12,007 Posts
Re: VDO boost gauge - kill the fake blue light, check out the red one. (jimerc21)

42 Draft Design has a legal disclaimer for the air bag issue to cover their bee-hind in case there are ANY legal issues that could arise from the installation of the a-pillar pod on air bag equipped cars. It's a very smart business move.
However, after carefully looking at how the a-pillar pod mounts and how the a-pillar air bag is located I don't see an conflict between the two. The air bag actually sits fairly high in the a-pillar (about halfway down the a-pillar). The gauge pod sits at the base of the a-pillar...about 2-3" below the air bag. So, if the air bag was to deploy it would exit via the upper region of the a-pillar trim. Someone use to have a picture of a wrecked Golf with the a-pillar air bag deployed AND had an a-pillar gauge pod installed. The air bag appeared to deploy without any problem.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: (gti3374life)

i got the blue lighted one from my friend for my bday. we just got done installing it earlier tonight. pain in the arse. at first, i wanted the red. but i don't care that the blue isn't an exact match, it looks badazz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.