VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i got a set of vdo gauges from a cabriolet and I want to put them in my new fox.(btw, i got my new fox
ill take pictures for ya guys). I am not exactly how I would hook them up? its oil pressure, oil temperature and voltmeter . thanks.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (vwcabby)

As cheezy as this sounds, the same way as in the cab. The motors are essentially the same in this aspect, so the oil pressure and temp sensors should bolt into the same places on the block. Voltmeter I wold run right off of the fuse box, the Bentley should get you where you are going.
If you didn't get the sensors, its time to go back and get them....Your cab's Bentley should show locations, to make it easy.
Good luck.
LP

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (vwcabby)

I haven't wired up my oil pressure sensor yet, but the voltmeter and oil temp are hooked up. Good thing I checked here before heading out into the garage, so you'll get some pictures

My voltmeter runs off a wire that goes to the radio (grey with red stripe, IIRC, but check to make sure); it gets power only when the key is inserted into the ignition. (The other two gauges are also powered by this wire). Ground is ground (I used the ground point by the driver's left foot, behind the knee-bar). The oil temp sensor can go into the oil filter flange (see picture - it's the one with the blue wire), and the oil pressure sender will go either into the flange or into the back of the head. This depends on where it's meant to go on the donor car. You run into a problem on Foxes if it goes into the head, because with the engine rocking, there's a chance the sending unit would hit the battery.
Solution: get an angle adapter from VDO (expensive ~$100 CAD), or maybe a banjo bolt setup (the sensor's thread is M10x1). The oil pressure sensor for the gauge sends signals both to the gauge and to the idiot light, so the sensor that's there on a stock Fox can be taken out.
For lighting, I just wired into the dimmer wire that runs to the radio. But I think it's putting too much strain on the dimmer itself, because my speedo illumination is dimmer. I'm probably going to wire up a switch for the 3 VDO gauges.

The pillar mount is for an Eagle Talon, I believe. I bought it off a friend who had it in his Fox; he had taken the pillar trim to a shop and matched up a gauge holder to it.
Adam

[Modified by VW Fox, 12:51 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (VW Fox)

Adam,
How did you install the oil temp sensor into the oil filter flange. The flanges on my Foxes do not have a extra hole there. Did you remove the flange and then drill and tap it? Use one from another VW, or what?
Norman
PS: Haven't you installed that (air mail) angle adaptor yet?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (VW Fox)

Adam,
I need you to stop posting pictures of your interior. Makes me want to go out and kick my poor car. JP said that my motor was as clean as yours, though, so I am halfway there.
Alright, I'm dying here. Go ahead and tell me. Where is the steering wheel from??
LP

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (92foxrox)

quote:[HR][/HR]Alright, I'm dying here. Go ahead and tell me. Where is the steering wheel from??[HR][/HR]​
Ooh ooh! I know.. Ah poop.. I forgot. I think Adam spilled the beans in here a few months ago. I'm pretty sure I recall reading what it is.

·
Registered
27,543 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (FOXisVW2)

quote:[HR][/HR]Adam,
How did you install the oil temp sensor into the oil filter flange. The flanges on my Foxes do not have a extra hole there. Did you remove the flange and then drill and tap it? Use one from another VW, or what?
Norman
PS: Haven't you installed that (air mail) angle adaptor yet?
[HR][/HR]​
When I did the gauge install in my Fox wagon, I simply used a T-fitting on the flange, and ran the two senders off of the one fitting. I wasn't looking forward to pulling off the flange and drilling and tapping it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (Coolwhite Fox)

I believe A1, maybe scirroco, but I didn't know that it had a leather center. Maybe I am way off base. Plus, I really like the one in my 92, I see they offered the same one for the Corrado, albeit mine is not leather. This, though, looks like the first worthy replacement! NIce eye, Adam!
LP

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: vdo gauges in my fox. (FOXisVW2)

Oil filter flange: went to the JY and got a second one, and had a machine shop drill and tap one of the available spots. Incidentally, the flange I got (dunno what year Fox it was from) was slightly different in design - my '92's used 2 short bolts and 1 long bolt to hold it in place, while the "new" one I got used 2 long bolts and 1 short one. It fit exactly the same and the gasket was identical; just saying that if you grab one from the JY, grab the bolts as well.
Steering wheel: Italvolanti Formel. It's actually an original Fox accessory, that was available through VW. My interior was like-new when I bought the car in 1997, so it's just been a matter of keeping it clean.
Angle adapters: Nope, haven't gotten around to using the 'imported' angle adapter yet.
It, along with an Audi 80 exhaust manifold and downpipe, and possibly some more goodies are in the cue for this winter
I couldn't find any place that had metric angle adapters around here. I forgot to mention, though, VW (actually Audi) has an adapter on some cars - it's a banjo bolt setup that has one M10x1 spot on the angled part and a second one in the head of the thread. I don't have the part numbers handy, but the part came on early 1980s Audi 5000 diesels, and IIRC it's somewhere in the lower part of the block. It's made by ATE. Total cost is almost what the VDO adapter is, so if you can find something cheaper, get it. I'll post the part numbers tonight or tomorrow... I really have to get the radiator back in the Dasher this morning. Winter's been waiting for me for almost 2 weeks now, and I think I better get it roadworthy again... We haven't had snow or below-freezing temperatures yet (Toronto)!
Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.