VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Jetta has been overheating. The water pump is working. I changed the coolant, temperature sensor, fans, thermostat and trouble shoot the relay under the battery and I still can’t figure this out. No blown head either. Hoping to get some help. Thanks in advance.
- Eddie

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you know it's overheating?

I assume since you've done the trouble shooting on the fan control module that the fans are spinning up when they should (with cabin blower/AC on, coming on intermittently when the car is warm)?

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is pretty tricky as most the usual suspects are in working order. Maybe theres air trpped in the system or your radiators clogged. But those are only guesses. Does your heater blow hot air? And are you 100% positive the thermostats good? The waterpump impellars have been know to wear out prematurely if they are the plastic ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the thermostat myself. I already checked the water pump and it’s fine. The A/c is blowing cold air while driving. It’s when I sit too long in idle in starts to over heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I noticed my coolant reservoir was looking a bit beat up. The plastic inside of the container Is pealing away. I’m thinking this could be the problem because from what I read the reservoir should be under pressure to work properly and i noticed coolant was leaking out somewhere before I replaced the broken reservoir cap. It still overheated even after I replaced the cap. I’m picking up a new reservoir tomorrow. I’ll keep you guys updated if this works.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 2004 Jetta has been overheating. The water pump is working. I changed the coolant, temperature sensor, fans, thermostat and trouble shoot the relay under the battery and I still can’t figure this out. No blown head either. Hoping to get some help. Thanks in advance.
- Eddie
What kind of car, engine, year, and History.

Do you have knowledge with wrenching?

Why did you replace all those items, did they prove to be bad?

Here to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2004 VW Jetta 2.0L K engine. I was able the solve the issue. It was the fuse box on top of the battery. The fuses were fine. I replaced the whole fuse box with a new one and the fans have now been operating according to the vehicle specifications. Now to the whys....I replaced these specific items because of the cost:
Temp sensor $20 free autozone points
Coolant reservoir was corroded: $8 Free autozone points
Thermostat: $14
Coolant: $40
Fuse box:$45

I replaced the fuse box above my battery when I noticed the fans stopped working and my ac compressor didn’t kick on. Thanks to YouTube I was able to find the issue due to someone else having the same problem. Thank you guys and any gals for the help on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.