VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows a good source to purchase Velocity stacks for custom manifolds/ITB/carb setups?
I came accross http://www.velocity-of-sound.com, and they have a pretty good selection, but are a little out of my price range (I am trying to make mine on a pretty tight budget
).

A while back someone had made a set using thin walled aluminum pipe, and pressed a makeshift die (IIRC a chair leg
), flaring the top edge of the pipe creating a budget velocity stack.
I was thinking of using 1.5" Schedule 40 tubing, and attempting the same thing, but need advice on the best way to flare the tube using basic shop tools.

Is it best to attempt it cold, should the tubing be annealed first, is it possible to "stretch" aluminum into the desired shape?
TIA!

Graham.

·
Banned
3,570 Posts
Re: Velocity stack Q: (Mr Mini)

you will not ,i repeat NOT flare aluminum w/ good results....let alone sch 40, sorry, its just not going to happen. the only way you are going to do it is to spin it like we do, trust me we have tried everything and that is the only way ( mind you we are also using .065 " wall aluminum)
sch 40 is overkill anyhow

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Re: Velocity stack Q: (hkk735)

Aluminum is too brittle to form this way. You'd have better luck welding a piece of round stock around the edge and grinding the crap out of it.
Or have someone make you a set, but then you'd most likel be better off buying the pre-made ones. Anything to do with velocity stacks ain't gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can get away with forming aluminum like that as long as it is a 3xxx or 5xxx series. These are more pliable forming grades that will not crystallize and become brittle like the 6xxx series and higher will. Spinning and forming to shape is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: Velocity stack Q: (hkk735)

Quote, originally posted by hkk735 »
you will not ,i repeat NOT flare aluminum w/ good results....let alone sch 40, sorry, its just not going to happen.

No, but you can do this...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.