VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, VW Vortex is testing a beta feature for signatures. By clicking this link, you'll be able to add a visual list of things you own to display to other members. This test is still in the early stages and very limited, but it will allow you to make your sig more dynamic and useful. Shoot us a PM to provide your feedback.
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at idle, there is a fast tapping/ticking sound...very loud actually...and it is intermittent...sometimes quieter than others...sometimes doesn't exist...what is that sound? is it normal? is there a technical bulletin or recall coming on it? this cannot be normal...seriously, it's loud (and irritating) and is faster than the idle...so it doesn't seem to be fuel injectors
on my 2003 1.8T, there as a ticking/tapping sound...and it was determined that it was a selinoid...emissions related...and was considered normal...but it was not as loud as this is in my 2006 2.0T

Modified by pturner67 at 9:56 PM 12-21-2005

·
Registered
922 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (pturner67)

I know exactly what your talking about, i have the same exact problem with my 2005.5 GLI sounds like its coming from the right side of the engine(when you are in the car). If you rev the car in neutral the tapping speeds up until you cant hear it or it stops and then when you back off the thottle and the car is at full idle you dont hear it for about 10 seconds then it start tapping slowly and increses to that annoying tap you hear. And like you said, sometime you hear it sometime you dont. I have no idea what it is, i tried changing my oil weigh and that didnt help. It almost sounds like cams or crankshaft or something in the engine rattling except there is no loss in power or performance. i've never been able to figure it out.

·
Registered
493 Posts

I experience the exact same thing in my 1999.5 GTI 2.0L. I would bet that for me anyway its the A/C clutch, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was for you too.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (NINj4)

took it to the dealer...he said it's not normal...he said that there is a lower volume sewing machine sound that is normal...but this one is VERY loud...cannot remember what he said it was...something to do with the ac/circulation system...he said some of the early production 2.0T jettas had this issue but it should have been corrected by VW for my production date
gonna drop it off sometime next week and let them change out some parts...hopefully that will solve the issue

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Any word from pturner67? Without us hearing the sound it could be something entirely different than what everybody has on their FSI engine, given that the dealer said it was not normal.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Tanner74)

It's not the injectors. They listened to the sound. If it were the injectors, it would happen all the time. This is a very specific loud tapping sound (near the glove box) that happens after the car is warm and after the A/C has been on for a few minutes. When you turn off the A/C, the tapping is STILL there. When you turn the car off and restart it, the sound isn't there. So, they know it isn't the A/C fans or a leaf in the system since the sound is still there without the A/C on. One guy said there was an issue with some of the early production 2.0T models but that mine was manufactured after that fix was done.
The tech doesn't know exactly what it is. He says it is definitely not normal and is not the "sewing machine' sound the 2.0T sometimes puts out.
Taking the car to the dealer Tuesday 12/27. I will post the results after they fix it.

Modified by pturner67 at 7:35 PM 12-21-2005

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

Quote, originally posted by pturner67 »
It's not the injectors. They listened to the sound. If it were the injectors, it would happen all the time. This is a very specific loud tapping sound (near the glove box) that happens after the car is warm and after the A/C has been on for a few minutes. When you turn off the A/C, the tapping is STILL there. When you turn the car off and restart it, the sound isn't there. So, they know it isn't the A/C fans or a leaf in the system since the sound is still there without the A/C on. One guy said there was an issue with some of the early production 2.0T models but that mine was manufactured after that fix was done.
The tech doesn't know exactly what it is. He says it is definitely not normal and is not the "sewing machine' sound the 2.0T sometimes puts out.
Taking the car to the dealer Tuesday 12/27. I will post the results after they fix it.

Modified by pturner67 at 7:35 PM 12-21-2005
This is normal. Every VW I've driven has made this sound. I believe it is emmisions related.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (UncannySkill)

The 1.8T had an emissions recirculating seliniod that made a tapping sound. Some were louder than others. So you are right about that tapping sound. I was one of about 8 trillion people who took their car to the dealer for that sound just to find that I wasted 3 hours of my time. LOL
The guy took me for a ride at the dealer in another 2.0T and they could not reproduce THIS sound. Really, this sound is not normal. There is no way VW/Audi would allow cars off the line if they made this loud tapping sound. The tech at the dealer said this was NOT normal whatsoever.
We'll know Tuesday what it is.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (IMZ14U337)

Probably the evap emissions purge valve. Its on a duty cycle and speeds up and slows down sitting at a stop light with the engine at a steady idle, then goes away at times.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (kobe82)

this sound he is experiencing is probably not the normal sound that everyone is used to hearing. there has been some reports of a tapping/rattling sound coming from the glove box area. I have it on my new gli and my other salesman has it on his 2.0t. it sounds more like a loose plastic piece rattling. Our service department put in a insulation kit(sorry, don't have the part numbers handy) and the sound has gone away. The sound would only seem to be there when you were stopped and the car was in drive, like you were waiting to pull out into traffic. If you put the car in neutral or park it seemed to go away, it also seem to go away if you made the rev's go up just a little bit. i've been in lots of the new gli's and 2.0t and haven't heard it in all of them but have experienced it in at least 4 of them. Just my two cents~

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (RockinGti)

good idea...but the sound didn't go away in neutral...no "park" since it's a 6 speed

BUT...the problem is now solved...wanna know what it was?
no one knows what it was...they took apart some stuff trying to find the noise...couldn't find anything that was making the noise...they didn't replace anything at all or install anything new...but when they put everything back together, the noise stopped...yes...there is absolutely NO noise now...so, the dealership accidentally solved the problem...maybe it was something loose? maybe it was a fan blade barely nicking an edge? no one seems to know...but the car is now totally quiet...purrs like a kitten...no messed up loud tapping sound...the techs at the dealership were laughing about it...they said they've never taken something apart and just put it back together to fix an issue...but, whatever...the sound is gone...and that's all that matters

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Sounds good.... better than taking something apart and putting it back together with a bunch of screws left over!
You still do have the normal clicking sound with the engine only at idle right?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (Tanner74)

yeah, still have the normal fuel injector sewing machine-ish sound...but that's ok...I can barely hear that inside the car
if they had screws left over, they didn't tell me...lol

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.