VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

OK, I have the same problem and took the car in about 3 weeks ago. People are correct for the most part. The sound in coming from an evap line that is part of the emissions control system. What I was told: the flap will open and close (making that noise) in order to vent gas vapor in the line. This only does this at idle, when you open the throttle the flap has to close. Also, that in-line with the flap valve is a charcoal trap that captures spilled gas that may have gotten trapped in the line, than needs to be vented. The technician told me this is most common if you overfill (top off) you gas tank. He said all VW/Audi’s do this. In most of the models the valve at the rear near the gas tank, but in the A3, it is located under the firewall, and that’s why you hear it more.
I asked how often it would need to vent, and he said there is no way to tell. So my question was “So potentially it could do this all the time?”, his response was “yes”. I told the service manager that I did not think I could live with the noise if it did it all the time. So he told me if it does not stop, he would replace the valve and trap.
The technician did hook me up and look at fault codes. He also ran a self-diagnostic. Everything in the fuel and emission system showed up fine, yet the noise is still there.
I was worried because I installed the K&N filter, and thought that it might be causing some sort of valve problem. But now I know its not related to the intake

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

I over fill as well. I have since stopped, and I can still hear the noise. When I asked about that, I wa told that gas might be trapt in the Charcoal filter. If that is the case, they would have to clean it out to get the flap to stop over working.
However, I was also told, that if there was a major problem with the evap and venting flap it should send a fault code. The tech did not want to do anything about this, and just told what I said above. I am lucky that the servicw manager is kissing my ass about some other problems I am having, so I have been told if the thing does not stop, he will replace it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (AndrewT)

I think we are all meaning the same sound, just not describing it the same. I was told that even if you over filled your car once or twice, that was enough to get gas in the evap line and possibly build up in the filter system that needs to be vented.
From what it sounds like, the way to fix it is to replace line or filter (or at least open the closed system) of the evap. A couple of people have stated that they had the noise, and than the noise was gone after they replaced or opened the tubes or filter.
I would also assume that since the VW MK V’s are on the same body, that they to might have a similar problem. However, since they have a different engine layout (same engine) that filter and valve might not be in the same location, so they might not hear it. I would be curious to see if any of them have heard the venting valve.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (feuerdog)

Quote, originally posted by feuerdog »

Nope. Not fixed.

Sub zero start this morning, coolant hose still zip tied back, scaffing sound returned until engine temps built up.

This is not the same thing. This sound does not go away after the engine warms up, it only happens when the engine is warm and the car sits at idle (~800RPM).
Good luck with your problem though,
Quote, originally posted by feuerdog »

It turns out that there is a coolant pipe(approx. 1/2") that runs next to the cam belt cover. The pipe was putting pressure against the cover and had actually scuffed the inside of

I thought I had read a VW service Bulletin about this concerning the 2.0T Jetta's, you might have the dealer look it up.

Modified by kdoerner at 9:13 AM 2/22/2006

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (KharatosGTI)

OK, So I have not had the noise for about a two week now
. The only differance: I stopped topping it off, and, a different gas station. I filled my car up at a 76 station. Normally I only use Cheveron or Shell. So I wounder in this thing might be gas brand related.
Or, It might have just ran its course. If gas was trapped in the charcoal filter it might have all evaped by now. Just thought it was weird that it hasn't done it since I changed gas stations.
Maybe this means nothing, I'll keep and ear out

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (VWGTIxxx)

What would the injectors have to do with an evap line? i think this valve and filter are pre-injectors.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (kdoerner)

OK, Third week, no noise.
I have only put 76 premium in the car the last three weeks, and no noise. Have any of you that are still having the problem tryed going to a different gas station? As an WTF, can someone try going to a 76 station near them next time and let me know if you still have it a couple of days later. I just this its weird that the noise stopped when I started using their gas. I am going to try and fill up with Cheveron again after this tank and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: tapping sound (sundaydriver)

I don't know if the "fix" is really the answer. Mine went away for about 1 month plus now, untill this weekend. Since I changed gas and stop filling it pass the pump shutting off (different than overfilling), the noise went away. I had always used Chevron and Shell, when i switched to 76's gas the noise went away. I decided to put in Chevron this weekend for a trip and also to test to see if the noise came back. I did overfill it slightly because of the length i had to drive and wanted to get there on a half a tank. Before i filled up with Chevron I was almost out of gas. Once I got to my destination and stopped for the first time at a traffic light, with about a half a tank left (all Chevron at this point), I heard it, I heard that damn noise again. Now I am not saying that Chevron caused the noise, all I can say is when I don't overfill it and use 76, NO NOISE
. When i used or use Chevron and push it a little on filling, NOISE
Just my observation.
Modified by kdoerner at 8:33 AM 8/15/2006

Modified by kdoerner at 8:33 AM 8/15/2006

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: tapping sound (pturner67)

Quote, originally posted by pturner67 »

Sincerely,
Chuck Williamson
Unocal 76 CEO
hehe

My cover is blown

p.s. maybe I should try some different gasses just to test my theory.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (Boostin 6sp)

I have posted on this topic a couple of times now. My car used to do it. I can say for certain now, mine is gas specific. If I use certain brands of gas I get the tapping, when I use others the tapping goes away. I have been testing this now for the past 4 months. I can have the tapping, fill-up with a different brand, tapping goes away. Go back and fill up with the first brand a couple of weeks later, and the tapping comes back, wait and fill up with the other, tapping goes away. Very Weird

Just my observation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.